Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crochet  (Read 5689 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Crochet
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:07:13 pm »
I have started doing a lot of crochet this year. I hadn't done any for years but my friend wanted to learn and I wanted to be able to read a pattern so we joined a class in a local cafe. It evolved into a club when no one new came along and all the members wanted to stay on. Then the woman running it moved away and I ended up as the one leading it. It's great fun. We don't pay to belong but buy refreshments (at a discount) in the cafe.

I am having a go at squares in various patterns to make a blanket for when I venture out in my wheelchair in the cold. I'm also part way through a shawl for me but have to spin up more yarn to carry on with it.

Sadly, I have decided to give up weaving on my four shaft loom as it hurts my back and shoulders too much. I can't work for more than 20 minutes - often less - so I just don't bother. Will have to get round to selling all my weaving stuff. I still have my rigid heddle loom and peg loom as I think these will be do-able.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Crochet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:12:31 pm »
Shame about the weaving Lesley but great that th crochet seems to be going well :-)

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:24 pm »
Well done on the crochet! Despite being able to knit, see, spin and weave, crochet remains a complete mystery to me!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:51:29 am »
Lots of tutorials on Youtube, Louise. Bella Coco ones seem to be very good.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:54:11 am »
I love crochet - can't decide which I like best - knitting or crochet. Sorry about the weaving - I've not tried that one yet.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:18:06 am »
I go through phases of preferring crochet current phase) or preferring knitting.  :knit:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:02:21 am »
I used to prefer crochet in my youth. But then come 1975 it went seriously out of kilter with my London suburb punk life and I've never been back to it. Perhaps now is the time?  Problem is I haven't seen a pattern that inspired me (or hooked me I should say?).   What patterns/ garments do you make?  Inspiration needed please!

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:27 pm »
I used to crochet, mainly squares,  it was easy to take to work  and I'd sit and crochet at lunchtime, easy to just pick up and do a bit. Still have some bags of wool, might be tempted to do a bit again, make that single blanket into a double ?.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 12:11:00 am »
Good idea, PHB. I am just making a big enough blanket to go over me when I'm out in my wheelchair.

Pharnorth, have you looked on Ravelry? In the pattern advanced search you can narrow the search down to what you are looking for and there are hundreds to choose from.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:20:11 am »
Thanks MGWoM,  I've just done that and found a couple I may well have a go at. Just got to finish nigh the current bit of knitting, finish spinning the fleece I said I would do for my sister then spin some mohair for the crochet. And trim a few goats feet. Ho hum.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 12:27:52 am »
Over Christmas I plan on sorting out my WIP cupboard and find out what I've not finished making yet. Lots of knitting in there.

And the goats' hooves need doing as well.

Or I could just get on with my blanket.  ;D  And some  :spin:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:05:17 am »
Over Christmas I plan on sorting out my WIP cupboard and find out what I've not finished making yet. Lots of knitting in there.

And the goats' hooves need doing as well.

Or I could just get on with my blanket.  ;D  And some  :spin:

Talking of WIP, I have lots of that. Approx 15 years ago I started a cardigan. It never got finished. A few years ago I unpicked it and used the yarn to make a child's hoodie. It never got finished and when I got it out again a few months ago I couldn't even remember who I was making the hoodie for. ( whoever it was they are probably at uni by now) it got unpicked again and I have finally finished a jumper.... yaaaaay
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 09:04:37 am »
My longest serving WIP is an embroidery sampler to commentate my first baby's birth. I got it all done waiting for the name and birth date. Life was too busy for quite a while.  26 years later it is still waiting, somehow putting the name of a 26 year old man on a bit of embroidery doesn't feel right so I keep putting it off!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 12:47:31 pm »
Yes, mine's embroidery too.  When the children were in primary school (so the best part of 40 years ago) I started a map of Scotland with little embroidered pictures of events and places which are important to us (this was before our smallholding days).  I just had left a Scot's pine for the Caledonian Forest but I wanted a particular shape - could I find the perfect shape, no.  I still find myself looking at pines as we pass, wondering if that's 'the one'.  Now of course I have the smallholding to add, but I'm not sure my stiff fingers and fading eyesight will produce something worthy.

I've also got several tapestries, a hooked rug, endless knitting and odds and ends of spinning which will all go in the bin as the only use they are is to remind me that I used to be even worse at spinning than I am now.  I suspect the hooked rug has been got by moths by now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:49:04 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 12:01:37 am »
Love these WIP stories.

I've just learned to do waffle stitch from a Youtube video and it's beautiful (and easy).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS