Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very Thin Ewe  (Read 10535 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: Very Thin Ewe
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 09:45:37 pm »
No!  Worrying isn't it!  I did cut costs by taking her to the vet myself, rather than calling him out, but I won't get the bill until the test results are if there is anything that can be done,treatment prescribed. I'll let you know when I get hit with it (after picking myself up off the floor, no doubt!)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 04:48:05 pm »
Hello!  Shrekfeet, sorry about the delay in reporting vet costs - things took a turn for the worst.  My thin ewe turned out to have Johnnes!  I had to have her put to sleep just before Christmas - she was wasting away and could hardly stand, it was awful.  As the disease is mildly contagious, I had the rest of the flock tested (by random selection, mainly  her lambs and a few of the others) but all were negative thankfully.  The final costs....£367.00!!!!!  I had to sit down in the vets when they told me how much it was.  After paying out for that and the costs of feeding my small flock for the past few weeks whilst there is a foot of snow on the ground, I have decided to sell off a lot of my little darlings to try and recoup some costs.  I'll just keep a small number to keep the grass down I think.  Cheers.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 04:53:06 pm »
Sorry to hear your terrible news and the effect of the snow and vets bill. Hope all works out okay for you.

I've not been on here in a while and wanted to see how you got on. I had my ewe killed today, she was happy and eating well but getting thinner all the time and I didn't want to find that she had troubles and was suffering. Not an easy decission but the right one for sure.

thanks for keeping in touch

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS