Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Learning about Shetlands  (Read 5602 times)

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
Re: Learning about Shetlands
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 10:24:42 pm »
Sorry, but please read this: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/slaughter-poultry-livestock-and-rabbits-for-home-consumption

It clearly states that you MUST stun before killing.

Further down the page it says:

"You can use a gun to stun and kill an animal but you must use the correct power and calibre of cartridge for the type of animal. Read the manufacturer’s instructions issued with your firearm to find this information."

So as Sbom says.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 10:46:48 pm »
I think I remember there being something in the stun regs about needing to shock a bovine across the heart in addition to across the skull, which you can't do with a shotgun.

My memory can play tricks on me, though, so don't take that as gospel.  I'd check, though, if it were me.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Blackmyre

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Dallas, Moray
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 12:33:58 pm »
Yes, apparently a gun used appropriately is considered to stun and kill in a single operation. The Humane Slaughter Association has some details. I'm not sure quite how "stun" is defined in that case but it is still legal so, if you had the necessary setup, equipment, skills and confidence, you could use that approach for home slaughter of cattle if you really wanted to.

So that's the actual slaughter but other restrictions come into play. A number of these have already been mentioned in other postings in this thread, and the Tim Tyne piece brings a lot of that information together in a conveniently readable article. All in all they make home slaughter of cattle for human consumption exceptionally impractical in the UK if you want to remain legal. Many of us have looked into it for the same reasons as the original poster but all smallholders I know have concluded the same: far better to find a reputable abattoir not too far away and get the carcases cut & packed professionally. You can then sell or barter some of the superb meat you'll get from a Shetland steer - and there will be a huge amount to get through, even though it's a relatively small breed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS