Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - I've inherited a huge grape vine!  (Read 2968 times)

Shinding

• Joined Jul 2016
  • West Wales
Help - I've inherited a huge grape vine!
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »
We've recently moved house and on the land is poly tunnel with a large, rambling grape vine (unsure which variety). It's rather a mess and (think) it hasn't been pruned for a while.

I know it's the month for pruning and have researched the rod and spur system but in this case I just don't know where to start as it's so unwieldly and I don't have any gardening experience.

Can anyone give me some idea how to bring it back under control without killing it.

Thanks.
Shinding

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Help - I've inherited a huge grape vine!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 06:44:38 pm »
I heard monty say that you should prune the vine to the maximum you can manage... then have a cup of tea.... then do the same again...

I guess the implication is that you can be pretty hard on it.

Shinding

• Joined Jul 2016
  • West Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 10:17:11 am »
Ha ha, yes it is a lovely problem so good to know I can be hard on it and not kill it. Funnily enough I have been having a cuppa in between pruning - I must be a natural!

YorkshireLass: I'm going to have a read of those links you sent me, so thank you very much.
Shinding

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:20:33 am »
They do say that if you make a mess of pruning a vine you get to sort it next year.
It depends how rambling it is and indeed what you want to do with it. For an 'average' smallish polytunnel and only one vine I'd string 2 or 3 horizontal wires and attach the nearest single long bits to them, hack everything else away and then prune back to the spurs on what's left.
You have time anyway... I'll likely do my (outdoor) ones end of jan and stick assorted prunings into water to root. Yeah, it's better to have the right rootstock etc but I just plan on sticking some rooted cuttings to single horizontals along the garden fence top wire and hope the odd extra bunch hangs down.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 05:26:52 pm »
A few years ago we helped to clear up an allotment that had been completely overrun by four or five vines. They had not been pruned for about 10 years and were completely impenetrable. I did lots of research about the best way to renovate/prune vines but none were much help because they were aimed at commercial growers who needed maximum yield.

In the end we just cut off all the growth that could be dealt with by a good set of sharp secateurs. We did not check how many buds there were, or whether it was a lateral or not. The vines looked pretty devastated when we had finished but, come the spring, started shooting out new growth like there was no tomorrow. They produced a huge crop of grapes which were shared by all the allotment holders. I have come to the conclusion that it is almost impossible to kill a vine by pruning. it will always produce some fruit, providing it gets enough sunshine and warmth.

As each year goes on you become better at the pruning but, to begin with, just have a go with the secateurs. You can't go far wrong. :)

Shinding

• Joined Jul 2016
  • West Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »
I've just seen the extra replies - thank you.

It's been a while since I pruned the vine last but I might go back to it and prune even more off. It looks like it's got a very slight, light, fluffy grey mildew (or mould?) sitting on it - prob from all the grapes being left on the vine this year (by the prev owners ) so I'm hoping that won't be a big prob to contend with but even if it is, it sounds as it I can prune it to very little and it'll regenerate!
Shinding

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS