Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ex batts  (Read 3201 times)

alan m

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Hemel Hempstead
ex batts
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:28:27 pm »
Hi to all, we are very new to this, only aquired my birds on saturday afternoon. They had a bad day firstly travelling from Norfolk  to near Witham in Essex, very hot day the we bought them home to Hemel Hempstead, my querry is how long should it take for their combs and wattles to change colour from dull pink to red, we are feeding them on layers mash(for the moment) hand full of mixed corn as a treat late in the day. they are on grass (my back garden) will eventually be free ranging them.
thanks to all that reply. Knowledge is a wonderfull thing

alan m

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: ex batts
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:15:36 pm »
They will change colour soon say maybe 2 weeks or so, some a little longer. They need to get the sun and light on them. We have around 50 exbats and my Son has around 50. He lost 2 due to their past life however the rest are very well and they all live out free range, they come in at nignt. I find them great to have and they will come round in a few days or weeks. Ours have Layers Pel/nuts, bread, Qs, peppers and other veg and corn. Enjoy them and they will be good to you

alan m

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:21:30 pm »
wildman, thank you for the info, no one local to us keeps hens in their back gardens so had no one to ask! have lost count the amout of hours I have lost this weekend just sitting and watching them, they appear to be in good condition with only a few bald patches all 3 walk and climb into hen house ok, already had 3 eggs in 2 days, all are feeding and taking water ok. many thanks...alan m

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:27:05 pm »
good to hear, you will have lots of fun with them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS