Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Avian Flu  (Read 6944 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Avian Flu
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 03:59:58 pm »
Yes, WBF. Applies to all poultry keepers, even if you only keep a few.

Not sure how much action DEFRA would take at the moment. I have read £5000 fine is possible.

If they are already in runs can you cover in some way. It's to stop bird poo falling into the run. Also wire on run should be small enough not to let wild birds enter.

We still have some work to do on one of our runs. Try not to worry about it. Everyone is in the same situation. Just make a start.
yes I could cover the top part of the run and leave the sides open? :) The mesh is fine but still lets wild bird poop through.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 04:31:16 pm »
WBF, what exactly do you mean - how open is open?
Do you have any fruit netting, greenhouse shading, landscape fabric, tarpaulins (might need to add tent pegs, we did anyway), sheets of plastic...? Do you have any outbuildings?

Yes, the fine is up to £5,000, btw, and up to 3 months in prison, and that's per offence. It's on Defra's website.

I do hope we don't get an outbreak, we live somewhere with loads of tresspassers who completely ignore the 'private - no public right of way' signs and are annoying enough as it is.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »
WBF, what exactly do you mean - how open is open?
Do you have any fruit netting, greenhouse shading, landscape fabric, tarpaulins (might need to add tent pegs, we did anyway), sheets of plastic...? Do you have any outbuildings?

Yes, the fine is up to £5,000, btw, and up to 3 months in prison, and that's per offence. It's on Defra's website.

I do hope we don't get an outbreak, we live somewhere with loads of tresspassers who completely ignore the 'private - no public right of way' signs and are annoying enough as it is.
All the outbuildings are in use atm. The runs are enclosed. they are long runs with mesh al;l around so nothing can get in or out through the mesh. I was thinking of covering the top part of the runs with plastic and leaving the sides alone, as although it will be keeping bird excrement out it won't be blocking them from sunlight which they need
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 05:10:09 pm »
That sounds perfect

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 05:19:33 pm »
Yes, WBF, that does sound like exactly the right thing.  :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 06:21:32 pm »
Would it be possible to cover with plastic, then the fine mesh? That would stop the wind shredding the plastic?

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 08:38:28 pm »
Have just ordered a big roll of scaffold/windbreak netting. Amazon were fairly cheap but obviously it will take a few days to arrive. I've moved the hens in with the ducks in preparation, they are getting on fine which is a relief.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 10:45:56 pm »
It makes sense to cover runs to prevent wild birds from infecting your flock but, how long are we to do this and when the all clear is announced, would the land still be a source of infection when the birds are let out to free range again?  anyone know?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS