Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: badgers interfering with distressed sheep ?  (Read 4105 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
badgers interfering with distressed sheep ?
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:13:11 pm »
I rent a few fields out to someone local and keep an eye on them for him.
This afternoon I noted a hoggett which was on it's own lying on the ground next to a fence where a busy main road is..When I approached it..it was in some distress(assumed it was dead or dying..most of my experience is of sheep dying of flystrike).Got on the phone and the owner came out straight away..took it back with him to his home and apparently he's quite hopeful as it's now on it's feet (tonight anyway.)
However my question  is that something had been pulling it's wool out whilst it was on the ground. As it was on the corner of the field where badgers cross over nightly to an area of woodland....would they be the culprits and can they cause the sheep any harm ? There is also a buzzard close by..could this have been the culprit.
Not sure how long the sheep had been lying on the ground.
Rest of the flock..40 plus are fine.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: badgers interfering with distressed sheep ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:18:57 pm »
Not sure..... I know badgers are capable of almost anything. My first thought would have ben of stray dogs in the area? Only way to find out would be to put wildlife camera's up to see :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:53:37 pm »

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:55:14 pm »
Must be badgers some of the pictures pretty gruesome....makes me want to sort these badgers out.Not helped by my neighbour who is building a holiday cottage with viewing platform for them.My son did manage to hit one with his car (accidentally at night coming down our lane) but they can do a lot of damage to cars.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:04 pm »
Badgers typically leave the spine and the fleece/skin, inside out, of lambs that they take.  They used to pick off the lambs that were struggling, up to about weanling stage, when I was on the moorland farm. 

I can't say I've any definite experience of them taking hoggets, but I've no doubt they would take a punt at one that couldn't defend itself.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:53:56 pm »
Corvids love helping themselves to wool, plucking it from the back end of sheep.  Maybe she was down already and they would have progressed to eyes etc next.  I have no experience of badgers.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 06:57:19 am »
Crows will pull wool from a living , standing sheep but I've only seen it in spring.
They'll strip a carcass pretty fast.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:53:29 am »
There has been many people who have had to put sheep to sleep after badger ate them alive. Badgers often eat the udder area , ewes that get cast overnight at high risk from badgers. they have also been known to take lambs. I have heard of someone who had a cow who went down overnight in the morning the farmer discovered it had gone down but badgers had eaten it's udder area.
A friend of mine when to see his sheep in the morning one had have a dozen badgers round it eating it alive. He managed to chase them off but had to put the ewe to sleep due to it's injury's. He said he had wished he had filmed it rather than running to chase them off.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:35:25 am »
If it was only wool I would suspect birds. Badgers want meat.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »
Yes badgers can, see

http://blog.tarset.co.uk/2010/07/kessing.html

Could not see anything in the blog which proves badgers eat sheep alive -just unsubstantiated words and pictures which could be attributed to any predator. No badger proof, no live sheep proof!

The poster did not say that the sheep had been partially eaten, only that some wool had been pulled out and that the sheep was recovering from whatever ailed it.  Perhaps the badger was not very hungry! or possibly the culprit was a corvid testing to see how much life there was left in the sheep.

Just because there are badgers in the area does not mean that they will eat sheep.

In terms of danger to sheep I would put badgers well down the list after dogs,humans,foxes, corvids and big cats.

Regen

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 05:19:51 pm »
Corvids are the largest problem for sheep here

But I have seen a badger take a young lamb (it was an old and rangy badger) & I have seen a badger eating at a cast ewe's udder
How often this happens I don't know but it does happen

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 06:05:33 pm »
I've seen this too.  Despite the gruff, but kindly, image badgers have due to Toad of Toad Hall they're red in tooth and claw and will eat anything from bumble bee nests to hedgehogs (in fact, the only predator of hedgehogs) so a nice, supine mammal would be a feast for them.  I have a field near a badger's sett where I wouldn't dream of putting lambs less than three months old.  A recent study carried out by Liverpool University of badgers in the Cheshire area found 24% carried bTB.  You can probably guess how I feel about badgers.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 11:08:04 pm »
My sheep are kept in a field with a badger set right next to it, I can see the pathways the badgers (and foxes) make and also have to chase them off my lawn in the middle of the night... they are partial to spilled over layers pellets, plus of course worms etc... but I lamb outside and have my ewes with their lambs in that field from day one. Never lost a lamb to badger (hens are a different matter, especially if OH forgets to shut them in at night...)

I see crows on the ewes all the time... not just in spring.

However the ewe may have pulled her wool by rubbing against the fence.

Buzzards do not go for adult sheep, not even lambs. Again we have local ones and the hunt in the field all the time.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 11:07:15 am »
 Good news the hogget is fine now....consensus is it was weak anyway..couldn't get up and a badget/crows started to take an interest.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 12:49:32 pm »
Sorry JulieM but unless you saw it happen its pure speculation.  Any creature mentioned in the posts could have been responsible and a few more beside, may even have done it itself if it was thrashing around against the fence.  Cameras after the event again will prove nothing.
  I fail to see why a neighbour building a viewing platform and you seeing a picture of a dead sheep that had been partly eaten, assumed to be a badger, would seem to incense you to “sort the badgers out” at your location.  Good news that the hogget is fine but any idea why it was down in the first place?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS