Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly shetland tup, help please.  (Read 4408 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Poorly shetland tup, help please.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 09:40:01 pm »
So sorry xx We went through this with a few tup lambs last year.  Even had a post mortem on one.  Vets came up with nothing.  Since then we have given selenium and cobalt supplements regularly and the poorly ones recovered and touch wood we haven't had the problem since. Google selenium and cobalt deficiency and see if it looks familiar.  If so treat the rest of your flock.  Its more common than you may think. 
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 10:13:23 pm »
Mineral deficiency was one of the optîons given and is now being added to the flock plan for an autumn drench (they are all being done this weekend to be sure)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 06:51:10 am »
Just a thought, we always give any lambs that are staying on farm over winter, an extra shot of heptavc p as a guard against braxy, eating frozen grass seems to trigger it, although your lambs symptoms don't really fit, as usually you just find them dead, but it was very frosty earlier in the week.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 10:55:10 pm »
I'm sorry to hear your boy didn't make it. Everyone, and I mean totally everyone who keeps sheep will have at some point one keeling over and you think that you could/should have done something earlier... but all you can do is to make some improvements to your flock management and hope that the same thing won't happen again.

Last year I lost 4 sheep (of a flock of about 50 at the time) in totally unrelated and not preventable incidents, and the last one was on Xmas day... but this year (so far) not a single (sheep) loss.. but the goats made up for it anyway....That's livestock I am afraid.

But it seems you have a good vet, maybe in future if/when you have one pts on the farm, the vet can do a quick on-the-spot PM, with your symptoms I would have checked the liver for fluke at least. Extra Heptavac sounds like a good idea to me, especially if the first vaccination was early in the summer.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 10:30:30 am »
 :hug:

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS