Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac injections  (Read 8708 times)

Advertisement

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Heptavac injections
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:10:28 pm »
I've just posted a query about injecting Heptavac subcutaneously and had some really useful replies (thank you), but now I have a question about the actual effects after vaccination. I have 4 ewes, so when I inject I always use 4 brand new needles and syringes. Each year some or all of them get lumps on their necks where I've injected. The lump eventually bursts and there are no problems, but why do they get them?

My other concern is for the last 2 years one of my ewes has shown effects after the injection (despite having had injections for the last 4 years without any effects) Two years ago  she was just not 'normal ' for a couple of days and was licking her lips a lot. Last year a few hours after the injection, she was lying  down and seemed to be 'twitching'.  I'm just a bit worried about the effects this year and wondered if anyone else has had anything similar? Thanks.
4 pet sheep

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Heptavac injections
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:35:28 pm »
Do you breed these ewes moprabbit?  If not, do you really need to Heptavac them?  Sheep usually build up their own resistance to many diseases as they get older.  Heptavac given to ewes provides cover for their lambs to get them through the early danger period until they can be injected and build up their own immunity.  It would be worth a chat with your vet, as you could be putting your ewes through unnecessary treatments.

Modified to say - this is incorrect as shown later in this thread, but I have left it here for interest.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:37:19 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:48:39 am »
I give mine a booster four weeks before the first lambing date.  Lumps are often caused by the adjuvant (what the vaccine's mixed with to increase the immune response).  Sometimes these are quite oily and take a while to disperse.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:54 am »
Thanks for the replies. No, Fleece wife,  I don't breed from my ewes. I know that Heptavac gives the lambs their immunity, but I always thought it protected the adults from clostridial diseases etc. I'll talk to my vet tomorrow about it. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:57:45 am »
Please let us know your vet's opinion  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:35:17 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 01:22:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies. No, Fleece wife,  I don't breed from my ewes. I know that Heptavac gives the lambs their immunity, but I always thought it protected the adults from clostridial diseases etc. I'll talk to my vet tomorrow about it. Thank you.
Yes, please do let us know moprabbit. I don't bred from my ewes either so if I don't have to Hepvac them it would save me the job and the cost
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 01:43:57 pm »
YES it protects the the ewes especially the pasturella part  , rams don't pass on immunity to their lambs yet you still have to protect them and many do them every 6months , the gamble is yours to take many people don't inject at all and have no problems .   If you are using new needles for every sheep and getting lumps on all, then have you looked at your technique    needle size ? injection site ?

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 10:21:52 pm »
Thanks for the reply Shep. In my other post about subcutaneous injections I asked for advice about other places to inject rather than the neck, as I  find that quite tricky - so some advice was to inject over the ribs. I use a 5 eighths x 1 inch needle, make a little 'tent' in the skin and inject into that.

I'm  just worried about the side effects on one of my ewes for the last two years, but I'll ring my vet and see what he says.

Thanks for the replies.
4 pet sheep

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:30:00 am »
Please let us know regarding any advice you are given moprabbit.

We aren't breeding from our ewes at the moment but continue to give the booster. I assumed this was necessary for their continued protection. I guess that they may be less likely to suffer from these illnesses as they get older and natural immunity develops but that the booster will improve resistance to infections and lessen any risk.

One or two of ours develop puss filled lumps each year and it does worry me as they eventually burst and must surely be a fly strike risk.

I have wondered whether our technique is at fault but can't seem to improve matters. :(

Or maybe it is a reaction to the drug itself?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:05:08 am »
Suggestions for injections:  inject sheep when completely dry; if injecting in the neck turn the head to the side of the injection to give enough slack in the skin to make a good tent; aim the needle almost horizontally across the base of the tent, making sure it doesn't go through and out the other side; rub the injection site gently afterwards.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 07:50:08 pm »
Thanks for that advice Marches Farmer, I'll definitely try making sure I turn the head.

I  spoke to my  vet about Heptavac and he said non breeding ewes should have the injection as it gives them protection as Shep53 said in his post.

I told the vet about my ewe who'd had some sort of reaction to Heptavac for the last 2 years and he suggested I didn't inject her this year in case her reaction this year is more severe.

I hope this is of interest to others.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:36:28 pm by moprabbit »
4 pet sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:52:02 pm »
Have you tried or looked at  the STERIAMATIC  injection system  , personally I use 12or 15 mm needles for subcutaneous injections

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 10:01:18 pm »
I haven't tried that system, Shep, but I'll certainly have a look. Thanks.
4 pet sheep

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:05:27 am »
Thanks for that advice Marches Farmer, I'll definitely try making sure I turn the head.

I  spoke to my  vet about Heptavac and he said non breeding ewes should have the injection as it gives them protection as Shep53 said in his post.

I told the vet about my ewe who'd had some sort of reaction to Heptavac for the last 2 years and he suggested I didn't inject her this year in case her reaction this year is more severe.

I hope this is of interest to others.
thanks moprabbit. Definitely useful. I will still be doing my non breeding uses in Feb
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 09:43:55 am »
If you don't want to use Sterimatic, then try shorter needles like 1/2" (18g), you might find them a bit easier to handle.  And use 2ml syringes rather than any of the bigger sizes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS