Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Subcutaneous injections  (Read 2590 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Subcutaneous injections
« on: December 01, 2016, 10:09:44 pm »
The time is coming up for me to inject my girls with Heptavac. I've always done it in the neck and struggled slightly. I wondered if there was anywhere else I can inject? Someone told me the only reason for injecting in the neck was so that it didn't damage the main 'carcase'. My girls aren't going for meat so that wouldn't apply. I once saw my vet inject on the side of the sheep about half way down.
Thanks
4 pet sheep

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Subcutaneous injections
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:48:56 pm »
I'm no expert, but we did our lambs over the ribs this year, and I found it much easier (ribs don't wriggle as much as necks). A sterimatic injector makes life easier (and safer) too.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:40:28 am »
The other reason for injecting in the side of the neck is so that if the sheep develops an abscess, which heptavac is very prone to causing, then you will know exactly where you injected, and that it's unlikely to be CLA.
Choose a spot where the skin is nice and loose, whether it's in the neck or over the ribs.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:33 am »
Echo getting a sterimatic injector it makes life a million times easier. As long as your ewes aren't too fat you shouldn't have a problem doing it in the neck, I found overly fat ewes a bit of a nightmare to do but the sterimatic injector simplifies it somewhat.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:13:00 am »
Oh, the other thing that's blindingly obvious for neck injections (but took me ages to figure out  ::)) - bend the ewe's head towards the side you're injecting to loosen the skin.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 12:58:34 pm »
If you part the fleece then pull up the skin to make a little tent and can inject at a slight angle towards the base of the tent.  I use a half-inch needle for subcutaneous injections, which makes it much harder to go through the bottom of the "tent" and out the other side.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 10:49:15 pm »
Thanks for all the replies there are some very useful tips which hope fully I'll put into practice.
4 pet sheep

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS