Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ben Fogle again  (Read 2698 times)

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
Ben Fogle again
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:26:39 am »
Did anyone see this week's 'new lives in the wild'?

There was a sheep killing method on there that really took me by surprise. Initially I turned my face away and started complaining to the OH that it was unnecessarily cruel but I was somewhat swayed by the end of it.

I know sheep are adept at hiding their pain or injury but it seemed to be a genuinely calm affair.

:sheep: ??? :sheep:
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Ben Fogle again
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:40:40 am »
Never heard of the show.
Any chance you could describe this method, if it's not too graphic for the forum?

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:12:31 pm »
I was the same. I said to my other half 'I can't watch this,' and put my hands over my eyes. It was done in a second and he told me to watch it; I was amazed! Even Ben seemed rather in disbelief at such a quick killing method.

[member=3961]YorkshireLass[/member] basically, this Mongolian chap made a small slit in the sheep's stomach, reached in and removed its heart. It sounds BARBARIC. But having watched it, it actually seemed quick and humane - as bizarre as that sounds. The sheep just lay there, didn't move or make a sound.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:22:23 pm »
It was probably too shocked. I think I'd do the same if you tried that on me!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 04:05:51 am »
It probably was shock womble! But he had the heart out so quickly I don't think there was time for the sheep to feel anything else.

I'm not suggesting we should all adopt this method to dispatch our ovine from now on, but for a rural, Mongolian community it actually seemed to be the humane option.

After the Trump wars, when humanity roams the wastelands, surviving in small, fragmented groups of broken spirited, desperate souls, I might give it a try.  ;D
Little bugs have lesser bugs upon their backs to bite 'em. And lesser bugs have lesser bugs and so ad infinitum!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:29:54 am »
I never saw it done but heard that was the standard way when I visited Mongolia as a teenager.
Apparently very fast and as near painless as you can get but requires skill to do it right.  I worry about the sheep I would need to practice on before getting to that level of skill!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 08:26:45 pm »
Disbleath spoke to the vet if the cut was done whith a sharp it wouldn't notice the small cut. They then feel the   aortic valve then pull. Gone in seconds definitely umaine . The skill in skining the ewe iff you could do it. You could do 3 or 4 very quick.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:34:17 pm by Victorian Farmer »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:25:17 pm »
Its a fascinating series for a number of reasons. The Mongolian method done expertly was in great contrast to the Hungarian episode a few weeks ago where the first timer botched doing a stun on an animal as he was too diffident about it. What I was reminded off from watching this Mongolian method is you have to see it too judge it as it was utterly different from what I might have imagined. What I was reminded off from the Hungarian episode is if you are going dispatch do it with the right amount of force or not at all.

Bex

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 04:32:02 am »
You're so right pharnorth. My thoughts exactly.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:54 pm »
After the Trump wars, when humanity roams the wastelands, surviving in small, fragmented groups of broken spirited, desperate souls, I might give it a try.  ;D
Love that! :D

I saw the programme and was amazed how calm and quick it all was. Brilliant.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS