Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Supplier for sheep handling systems  (Read 4213 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Supplier for sheep handling systems
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:28:36 pm »
can someone point me in the direction of where to start, I'm looking for a basic sheep handling system for my Christmas present to myself and don't know where to start looking.

Light weight and portable are important but I don't have a huge budget...

Some companies to look into would be appreciated...

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Supplier for sheep handling systems
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:03:37 pm »
I'm going to say steer clear of Bateman.... for no other reason than I have been waiting for 3 months for them to deliver 10 "pin type" hurdles to our local agri merchant. They have mis-communicated every step of the way.

I think one of the companies I normally associate with tags do handling systems.. is it Ritchie? Also I seem to remember a few small outfits in Wales & the welsh borders making bespoke systems. Sorry, can't remember the names.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:36:40 pm »
What do you mean when you say 'system' Bloomer?  At its simplest, that could just be a hurdle pen, and at its most complicated, it could include everything from funnels and races to turnover crates or combi-clamps.

Am I right in thinking that what you really mean is something that can be moved from field to field, such as an alligator system?

You've seen our system, which I have to say works really well. However,  if I were you, I'd knock up a pen or two at each of your parcels of land using posts, some short lengths of rylock, pallets and maybe a gate or two. That would be both low cost and non-nickable.

The other comment I have to make is that we designed our system with Manx Loaghtans in mind, who were as mad as a box of frogs, and twice as bouncy. Now we have a nice docile breed instead, it all seems a bit like overkill, so do give careful thought to your future plans before you commit to anything!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:50:39 pm »
I guess I'm thinking more inter locking hurdles and a shedding gate to make a race and a couple of pens to make sorting easier (I currently use old pallets brute force and bad language)
I can turn them easy enough it's splitting the flick in any meaningful way quickly that's a pain in the butt :-)

Best guess is 20 6ft interlocking hurdles a shedding gate and maybe a couple of smaller hurdles for odd buts as needed.

What else do I need to think about?

Because I have multiple parcels of rented grazing I want something I can move with the sheep as needed...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 05:02:25 pm »
If you are going to be moving it around a lot go for aluminium.  It will save your back in the long run :)  Rappa etc. not cheap though, but worth every penny.  Being able to drag it along the ground is very handy - not something you can easily do with standard hurdles.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:36:39 am »
IAE make all kinds of panels, shedding gates etc.  There will be downloadable catalogues on their website, I'm sure.  The outside pens and races on the moorland farm were IAE, I think, and were slick, light, strong and easy to use.

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with Bateman, farmershort.  My own experiences with Bateman have been excellent.  We chose them for the cattle handling facilities at ex-BH's farm, and were delighted with the products and all aspects of the service. 

I have also had great customer service from Ritchie.  We had them make a slight adaptation to a lamb weigh crate.  It was a great piece of kit.

One thing to think about is how specific the connections are.  Some systems, e.g. Alligator, are very specific.  The only way to attach other, non-Alligator elements to the system is with baler twine :/.  Whereas the IAE stuff I've had used a simpler, more open pole and loop system, which other, non-IAE elements were more likely to be able to hook into.  (Although we did use baler twine quite a bit, too, of course.  :D)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 06:40:15 am »
Are you on face book?

Search colin Duncan, dunmor agri, he is based in forfar.

I got a load of aluminium hurdles from him, very reasonable priced
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 11:45:09 pm »
Hi Bloomer - as far as I could make out nothing is cheap and as my sheep are now on rented land having one of the mobile units wouldn't work as I would have to tow it to the field - set it up, gather the sheep then drive back for the trailer. So I went for a Modulamb small set up with a pen then could all eat in that has a curved back then they go down the race to a shedding gate - not cheap but very well made and has stopped a lot of bad language - will get you a pic if you'd like
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 07:07:07 pm »
Modulamb designed a race for our lambing shed and it's saved countless hours' work (and much bad language).  Oh, and saved a lot of stress for the sheep too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS