Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar - dehydrated and chilled  (Read 2248 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Boar - dehydrated and chilled
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:24:18 am »
Hi there, we recently installed an automatic water trough in our pig pen to save us carrying buckets all the time. Unfortunately it seems our 6 year old boar didnt find it (even though it is near where we feed them) and we dont think he had a drink for 2 days. This morning, we broke the ice on it and he had a really big gulp of cold water. He didnt want his breakfast and after vomiting some water, drank a bit more and now has retired to bed. He was shivering a bit and looks a bit thin. He has a nice big straw bed and his sow is in the arc with him so hopefully he'll warm up but I am worried about him. Is there anything else I can do to spark his appetite and help him out or do you think he'll perk up now after a sleep? He ate his dinner yesterday so i'm not too worried about thim missing breakfast but I am worried he has given himself a chill drinking the cold water in a large amount. It was very cold here this morning

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Boar - dehydrated and chilled
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:42:45 am »
Take him a drink of warm water?
I offer warm honey water to anything jnder the weather

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 09:47:39 am »
warm honey water sounds a great idea. I have some runny honey I can use. I'll take it up to him at lunchtime and see if it helps.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:43:34 am »
I would pop some cider vinegar in the warm honey and water too, as cider vinegar contains electrolytes so should help to restore hydration. Give it to him 3 times daily :) Hope he gets better soon and I am sorry you have had to go through this. All the best :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:41 am »
What makes you think he actually hasn't had water for two days? Droppings would be the best indication. Dry and hard lack of water. Pigs rarely vomit. Water with the chill off is a good suggestion and if he is dehydrated he will readily drink. If he doesn't I would personally suspect something else and get the vet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:16 am »
What makes you think he actually hasn't had water for two days? Droppings would be the best indication. Dry and hard lack of water. Pigs rarely vomit. Water with the chill off is a good suggestion and if he is dehydrated he will readily drink. If he doesn't I would personally suspect something else and get the vet.
I agree.  Pneumonia would be a likely problem.  It's minus 5 degrees here today and I'm soaking pig feeds for several hours in as much water as they'll absorb for the mature pigs, so they get some water that way.  I'm just off to do my third pig and poultry drinker round of the day.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 01:04:19 pm »
Just an update. I just went up and gave boar and sow a feed. He is up and about and eating some lunch (great sign as he wouldnt eat anything at all this morning). He has stopped shivering. I also gave them warm water, cider vinegar and honey so hopefully that will help as well as a full belly. I noticed his feet look a bit cracked so it might be that the soggy weather followed by the hard freeze made him sore and he didnt want to walk to the drinker. Then gulping the water down gave him a chill? Food and water now  right by their arc so they can have a lazy afternoon without having to walk on the frozen ground. Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep an eye out for any other symptoms in case it is something more sinister.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 01:24:12 pm »
Hopefully it isn't serious. Frozen ground isn't easy for pigs but if they need to drink they will look water. Have you checked droppings? I doubt his feet are sore through the weather. Can he walk properly or is he lame? Gulping water doesn't give you a chill. I would keep a close eye.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »
Thanks Harmony. I'll try to look out for fresh poo and see if it looks ok and keep a close eye on him

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 07:38:48 pm »
If pigs don't drink, they can get salt poisoning. This can cause vomiting, shaking and even death
Sounds like salt poisoning or just dehydration, you caught it in time if he's improving. Hope he's all back to normal now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS