Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling sad  (Read 4398 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Feeling sad
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:53:02 pm »
Tonight I milked my favourite goat for the last time.  :'( She gave me slightly less than half a pint and that's in two days so it's time to stop. She's nearly ten and is not good at giving birth. I thought we were going to lose her last time and did lose the kid so it's not worth the risk. Sad though because she is such a darling to milk - just stands there placidly and lets me get on with it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Feeling sad
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 07:11:42 am »
Yes know how you feel . I  have been through this with three of my goats (one was my adult male, but I didn't milk him) this year... both of my foundation females were too old to breed again this autumn. But at 8.5 and 9.5 they had a good innings and I have their offspring still here...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:25:28 am »
Thanks, Anke. I knew someone would understand.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:02:13 am »
Mine aren't milkers so in that sense I don't know exactly how you feel.... But  :hug: :hug: anyway because I admire the dedication of you milkers and it must be tough. It's a hard frost out there again today so I reckon everyone is too busy lugging hay about and breaking ice to go on line. I'm just having a coffee first then out into the wintery wilderness. My goats are out there in the frost waiting patiently for breakfast.......

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 11:03:11 pm »
Sorry to hear MGM - I know how special your girls are  :hug:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 11:28:52 pm »
Thanks, Brucklay.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
Losing her is sad  :hug:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »
I still have her but not to milk her any more. She will stay here for the rest of her life and just be a much loved pet. I think she's quite enjoying retirement because she still gets the cuddles and sweeties.  ;D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 11:44:52 am »
Scarlet Dragon - if it is that small an amount she is unlikely to be uncomfortable with it.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 07:02:21 pm »
I was still getting about that after two days from Pom. I shall keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't getting uncomfortable. She last kidded well over a year ago but we lost the kid due to her getting very stuck. The body had to be dragged out with a rope in the end and my poor girl couldn't manage to get up for ages afterwards. The vet said that if she wasn't up by next morning to get him back in but she had managed by then. Not putting her through that again.

So now I have one retired goat and one that I can't breed from because of the split teat gene. Oh and two off for slaughter soon.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 11:57:02 pm »
 ;D ;D  I have no idea. Lots of people have more than that. I wonder if it depends on whether you are classed as Farmer full time, Farmer part time or other. I'm an Other but I only have room for three or four anyway.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 05:37:31 pm »
Sorry MGM, I haven't experienced that yet, other than to send the aggressive (not to us just his stable mate) whether off to slaughter, but I do have to say goodbye to my old ewes and thats awful  :'(. How long will you keep her for?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 11:17:58 pm »
For the rest of her life. She's been a good milker and, more than that, she's a pet so she will just stay here.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS