Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you want for Christmas ?  (Read 9653 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: What do you want for Christmas ?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »
Well, all I can say [member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member]  is that as per our conversations a few months ago, if my accountant had known what a tup, drainage ditch or landrover smelt like, that would have saved me a hell of a lot of un-necessary hassle this year. I think you can be forgiven!  ;) 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 09:09:49 am »
Well, all I can say [member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member]  is that as per our conversations a few months ago, if my accountant had known what a tup, drainage ditch or landrover smelt like, that would have saved me a hell of a lot of un-necessary hassle this year. I think you can be forgiven!  ;)

Hopefully you've got all that sorted out now though? 

I wouldn't have minded but the girl is married to a farmer.... albeit one that uses a Henry to clean his combine (and I don't mean the cab!!!).  I can't imagine anyone who looks less likely to be a farmers wife as she's very delicate, perfectly presented and manicured.  I simply cannot imagine her in a boiler suit and wellies shearing sheep or mucking out!
That's the thing!
Even farmers nowadays are so detached from... farming and nature lol
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:56 pm »
Well, some of them are.  This is the time of year when I sweep the hall and put the result on the muckheap.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »
Yup. As a friend of ours once remarked, "When I visit my other friends, I take my shoes off to save their carpets. When I come to see you, I keep them on, to keep my socks clean!"  :-[
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 07:33:20 pm »
Yup. As a friend of ours once remarked, "When I visit my other friends, I take my shoes off to save their carpets. When I come to see you, I keep them on, to keep my socks clean!"  :-[

Hmmm  Carpets, is this something new ??

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:03 pm »

Surely you only need carpets if you don't have enough straw down?!
Now I could regale you all with a story about the straw on our kitchen floor many years ago , but I wont. 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:13 pm »

Now I could regale you all with a story about the straw on our kitchen floor many years ago , but I wont.
Now you have me all curious. I won't tell anyone, promise! :innocent:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 06:06:39 pm »
And me ????

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 07:43:57 pm »
A new cover for my ironing board.

What's an ironing board?  ???

It's the tall leaning thing you hang extra washing off :D

As for my Xmas, I would like to get the job I've interviewed for  :fc:
(I messed up the "corporate" bit somewhat, but the "dealing with the actual job" bit seemed to go well)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:46:09 pm by YorkshireLass »

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 09:39:16 pm »

Now you have me all curious. I won't tell anyone, promise! :innocent:

To cut a long story very short , when we first married and came up to Scotland to our derelict croft house we had no money Mrs RTB had no job wasnt claiming anything I transferred to Aberdeen branch 6 months before we paid for the property and was allowed to move in to try and sort it , well sort of 6 months living in a land rover !  but the steading was made fit for purpose with anything I could scrounge between shifts.  However before I had got that far the managing director of the company I worked for wanted to come and see the croft , I tried to put him off , the house was devoid of electricity, plumbing , no phone and the one watertight room come "kitchen" ( only called that as it had a rayburn in it ) was also home to my newly purchased goat hence the straw on the floor ! 
Well that's the very short version.
Ps Kitchen fitted 8 years later.
PPs  Everyone round here knew about it , my claim to fame , well one of them.
PPPs I could tell you abou.........  maybe a new thread , one day.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 07:01:39 pm »
To be back at home from hospital with healthy new baby boy  :fc:

Back from hospital with new baby for the 3rd time in his 11days! After a tounge tie snip, then an illness which led to several days stay with tons of blood tests, drips and a even a lumber puncture, he's on the mend.
Hopefully this is us home for good.  Thanks to the NHS!

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 09:49:19 am »
DRY weather, and could you get rid of the bird flu….i'm sorted with everything else…

merry christmas to you all xx

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 06:08:53 pm »
Warm and dry waterproofs and wellies, the bird flu to have passed us by, a leak proof shed and a new kitchen sink.

However we pooled our resources and OH ano I bought some apple pressing equipment so there'll be nowt on Xmas day!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 10:18:21 pm »
Steph hen     :wave:

:love:                          :thumbsup:
                  :excited:                              :relief:

:celebrate:                         :yippee:

:merryxmas:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
That is so unfair of them. They know you have animals and should have checked first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS