Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Retriever - Any Tips?  (Read 6981 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Golden Retriever - Any Tips?
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:00:29 pm »
Our choice for a companion dog is (slowly) narrowing down, boosted by the 9 year old GR on our contractor's farm, who's a star.  Any experiences, tips or similar most welcome, including dog or bitch.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Golden Retriever - Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 05:58:31 pm »
I have a friend who keeps them, they will need a fair amount of exercise, absolutely stunning animals! :)
This may help.....
http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/home.nsf/breedinfo/goldenretriever
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:49 pm »
Gender is purely a personal choice.  Males in general have stronger wills, females have the problem of seasons unless you have them spayed(not before a year old)

Check the parents have had the recommended health tests.
Schemes or advice relevant to this breed -

It is strongly recommended that both Kennel Club Assured Breeders and non-Kennel Club Assured Breeders should use the following schemes, tests and/ or advice.
BVA/KC Hip Dysplasia Scheme
BVA/KC/ISDS Eye Scheme
BVA/KC Elbow Dysplasia Scheme
Progressive Retinal Atrophy (GR_PRA1)?
Progressive Retinal Atrophy (GR_PRA2) ?
ICT-A (Ichthyosis

Bitches under 18 months not to produce a litter
Bitches not to produce more than one litter in a 12-month period
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:34:27 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »
I've never owned a goldie, but just my personal experiences:

Can be grumpy with other dogs (show type maybe?)

Show types can tend to fat and be a bit "ambling"

Seen some working types which were lovely dogs - lightly built in comparison and nice temperament with a real want to please.

This is my very limited experience, but just my penneth worth for you.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 09:21:43 am »
Seen some working types which were lovely dogs - lightly built in comparison and nice temperament with a real want to please.
This is our contractor's dog.  Question is, how do I get a working type and not a show type ....?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 10:41:12 am »
you could try these people?
http://www.gaytonwood.co.uk/
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 11:01:41 am »
Never owned one but father trained gundogs so been around the working type.

The saying goes that Labs are the easiest to train, then Goldie's and then Flatties.

They are all different of course but the working goldens tended to show a bit more aggression towards other dogs and possibly a little more capable of being sharp towards humans. Nothing awful but maybe just something to be aware of. I'm not sure if this is true of show/pet types but guessing that in general they would be more easy going and laid back. Same is true of working labs.

I love the really dark red working line Goldens. You will find advertisements for them on the internet. You could try buying the Shooting Times. You could ring Gundog groups or there is bound to be a special society for Golden Retrievers. I'd probably talk to them first.

Doganjo has filled you in on health checks to be aware of.

Have fun!

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 07:03:17 pm »
We have a GR who is two years old next week. She is undoubtedly the most beautiful dog anyone has ever had. For her, life is a continual game. She likes her daily walk in the morning and during the afternoon just to hang around me while I'm doing my stuff outside and does not like me to be out of sight for too long. She gets very excited when she meets anyone and can barely contain herself, but I have now managed to stop her jumping up. We are careful with her diet as she has a pre-occupation with food and will consume her meals in 30 seconds in the most single-minded of ways. She goes to bed in our utility room at about 9pm each evening with a biscuit to see her on her way. At 8:55pm she sits stock still directly in front of me, her black eyes looking at me without flinching, alert for the signal. I'm very happy with her and she is very happy with us.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
Yup, that's the sort of thing.  Not that I'm unhappy with either of our dogs (Border Collie X and a Welsh Sheepdog) but that's not their sort of thing.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 02:03:55 pm »
I have 7 golden retrievers two nuetered males and five females ages 6 to 3 years. They are all different. Look on champs dogs for breeders local to you that might have puppies becoming available. I would agree with Doganjo that parents should have had all the necessary health tests with good results. It can't  guarantee that your puppy will be healthy all of its life but it goes a long way towards insuring that it will not suffer from that problems that the parents have been tested for.
Good luck with finding your perfect dog.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:05:35 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »
we got a working bred goldie pup this year. he's an absolute star-the easiest pup we've ever had. he's far more leggy (at 7 months) than his show-bred playmate but at 25kg already, will not be a small dog. he is a calm but fun boy, I do tracking and scent work training with him which he loves. He's great with the cats, poultry and horses. he has a lovely nature and is very switched on-very bright-not the boldest pup but not neurotic, tries really hard all the time. fab with disabled step kids. parents had excellent hip and elbow scores, great temps-the mother in particular is a completely sweet dog-dad is too and a FTCH. I am used to setters, so bar is quite low on the trainability score ;) but his recall and manners are great.

he's the first goldie I've had, had never even considered one before someone suggested one to me-we'll almost certainly be getting another next year. next time we'll go for a bitch but only due to size considerations and because you can get goldie bitches with very pretty faces ;) I do not intend to breed and have enough options and experience to cope with one or two seasons before she's neutered.

working quite hard to find up here at least, there are some very good breeders about though-we got lucky but mine mean a bit of a wait for some.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:44:02 pm by lord flynn »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »
This is our contractor's dog.  Question is, how do I get a working type and not a show type ....?

ask about-I can point you in the direction of some breeders. I also know of a litter but they may have all gone by now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:48:24 pm by lord flynn »

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 10:13:30 pm »
[member=24953]lord flynn[/member]  I know just what you are saying about setters - had 3 Gordons and can't face another although I love them to bits.  If I'm ever in the way of getting a planned puppy (keep getting fosters and keeping them!) I fancy a working goldie.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »
[member=24953]lord flynn[/member]  I know just what you are saying about setters - had 3 Gordons and can't face another although I love them to bits. 

I feel the same about the Irish Setters :)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »
I found my Goldie on the side of the road 8 years ago when he was 3 months old - best thing I have every rescued - Best. Dog. Ever. 

If I could I would have a whole houseful,  He is fab with the other animals, only downside is that he eats everything - EVERYTHING - and we have to watch his weight,  He is a sofa dog, not a working dog = not really bright enough for that I think   :D  Here he is with his fellow sofa surfers  :cat: :dog: :-[

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS