Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smoker/sauna shed  (Read 1991 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Smoker/sauna shed
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »
Hello
I really want to make a smoker (for sausages fish etc) as well as sauna (for me lol).
Was thinking of combining the two into one shed. I.e. using one shed for smoker and sauna.
Let's say it's about 7x7ft or 6x8ft.
Small stove - light enough to be moved outside to connect the pipe and let smoke inside for smoker. And moved inside with chimney coming out for sauna or hot smoking perhaps.
What do you think?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: Smoker/sauna shed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:00:22 pm »
hot smoker vs cold smoker? i imagine with the sauna plan you mean hot smoker? I can see the temp requirement being VERY different between a smoker and a sauna!

I saw a great sauna at the greenman festival in Wales... it was an old 47KG gas bottle, laid on its side. with a cage welded to the upper side for rocks, feet on the underside, and the tap-end cut off and hinged to give an opening to feed-in logs. the whole thing was inserted into the side of a yurt (oh, had a flue pipe in the top too), with the hinged door end on the outside of the yurt.

for a smoker, I really want to make a cold smoker out of a shed... it would consist of a fire container, like a barrel/bin, with a pip coming out of the stop.... which is then buried a couple of inches underground, and then rises in the floor of the shed. By the time the smoke gets to the shed, it'll be nice and cold, and wont cook the meat.

HTH

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
That's what I mean!
When it's used as a smoker the stove would be taken outside and lets say 2 metre pipe would take the smoke inside.
But if I want to use it as sauna, the stove would be inside the shed with a chimney going straight up through the roof.
That way we would use just one shed.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 04:30:43 pm »
But you would come out smelling like a kipper  :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 05:10:01 pm »
Lol
Well the "sauna stove would have a chimney so all the smoke would come out

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:12:05 pm »
Lol
Well the "sauna stove would have a chimney so all the smoke would come out

Having never run a smoker long term, my worry would be the dripage from the hanging food stuffs, and the smoke generally impregnating the shed and making it an awfully smelly sauna.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS