Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exciting times!  (Read 3705 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Exciting times!
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »
So for the past 2 months, things have not been going to well (relentless illnesses, sick bull, etc, etc). However last night everything got turned around and became brilliant :) I readvertised the 2 heifers yesterday afternoon, as a last time before we made reservations at the slaughter house (as no-one was wanting them :( ) Well out of the blue a lady got in contact, other people did too but were not serious, I supposed she was one (wrongly) we sorted out a sale within 2 hrs or less. She is coming for them on the 9th of Dec (all being well) and hasn't quibbled about price and is only 65 miles away ( couldn't be better). I have the TB test booked for 1pm today, as the vet said it is so quiet what with the winter fair and all :) So hopefully before too long they will have gone to their new home. I will be able to have a long talk with her when she picks them up, ask her what she plans to do with them, meat/milk, etc, etc. She sounds good, so I am sure they will be going to a good home, I will make sure I am 100% satisfied that they are going to a good home, before they leave. Also I have reserved a red welsh bitch puppy for Jan next year, from a lady I know; So yea very exciting times ahead!  As for the bull..... he is better now, all pneumonia gone now, although we still bring him in of a nightime.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:41:17 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Exciting times!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:42:30 pm »
All good to hear! How is your Father?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:16:14 pm »
He is keeping well thanks, no more episodes with his heart as of yet (which is indeed good).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:48:04 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 02:22:14 pm »
Great news - hopefully the good stuff will continue   :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:09 pm »
Glad things are working out for you.

Manaphy

• Joined Nov 2016
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 05:52:22 am »
Great news. There's always a silver lining.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 09:41:46 am »
Remember the old saying "It never rains but what it stops" I'm happy things are going well for you.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:48:28 pm »
Thanks guys! An update..... heifers tb tested clear so all steam ahead for the 9th. I let her know and she wanted the address. I will contact her on the 8th to see what time she will be arriving. Meantime having a difficult time trying to pursuade my younger brother out of carpentry apprenticeship until 2018, as we need him on farm when dad is in hospital. I feel it will be a long haul ::) still that's life :D Everything is all good, dads heart is good and today we managed to get more ring feeders for the buffalo :)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 10:46:20 pm »
Good stuff!
A note of caution though - I wouldn't be surprised to see cuts to education services and things like apprenticeships. If your brother is a carpenter in his heart, then he needs to go and learn the craft. Perhaps he could negotiate breaks when you need him? Just a thought :)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 06:51:20 am »
Let your brother go, you will manage somehow and if he fails to get an apprenticeship next year he may never forgive you. I know as I found my dream job at 17 but was made to stay at school until 18.  By then I was too old to get onto the career path I wished for.  Forty years later I still feel my mother did the wrong thing.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:45:00 pm »
well we researched in apprenticeships, closest would be in Cardiff, Swansea and Bridgend. Not only too far but it requires him to have a degree in maths and English, which he hasn't got. He has decided to teach himself with his own ideas to make stuff of his own inventing, which is brilliant as he is very creative :) As a famous quote says..... Formal learning can teach you a great deal, but many of the essential skills in life are the ones you have to develop on your own. Hope I haven't misquoted there..... If I can I will try and find maybe a course he could go on to teach him better, rather hard for where we live though, but there should be something.....  I will keep looking. He wasn't too happy about the long distance either, it would mean having to live away from home. Because he can be (as many of us are at 16- 17) easily influenced, there is always a danger he could get mixed up in the wrong crowd as well, which wouldn't be good, I have known, lovely, creative and very gentle people who have gone that way and sadly haven't come back, when learning and ended up not finishing what they went to do :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:49:13 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 06:30:08 pm »
I take it you don't have any agri colleges nearby that he could perhaps do a part time course?  Like day release. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:17:34 pm »
I take it you don't have any agri colleges nearby that he could perhaps do a part time course?  Like day release.
hmmmm not sure, but will definitely check it out to see. :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:57:54 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 03:49:50 pm »
WAC - Aberystwyth
http://www.emagister.co.uk/carpentry_courses_wales-kwpa-100-1704.htm
Thanks for that [member=26320]doganjo[/member] I really appreciate it. Will show my brother it :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS