Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yew bark  (Read 2239 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Yew bark
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:15:33 pm »
I know that the leaves of yew are very poisonous to sheep, but I did read somewhere that the berries weren't. Just wondered about the bark. Where I keep my sheep, the owner has just got some yew logs for turning on his lathe, but the logs have cut with a chainsaw and there is quite a lot of bark bits about that I'm worried about. Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Yew bark
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:16:31 pm »
As I understand it the toxin runs through the whole tree, although in a bad Winter I've seen blackbirds eating the berries (don't know if they've died later, of course).  I would hope that sheep on good grazing wouldn't be interested in the bark.  If you're worried would it be possible to fence off that area or rake off most of the chippings?  May save you kicking yourself later if there's a problem.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:53:59 am »
AFAIK it's the pips that are poisonous, the flesh of the berry is ok for blackbirds.

Don't know about the bark sorry.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:12:01 am »
When I worked at a big house with lots of formal yew hedging we used to gather up the clippings and send them off to a pharmaceutical company that used them to make a drug for cancer treatments. The poison (taxin) doesn't disappear when the tree dies.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 12:45:32 pm »
 Thanks for the replies -I shall just have to be VERY careful. I shall get a hoover to get up as much of bark chippings as  possible.
4 pet sheep

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 12:26:40 pm »
 Yew bark is definitely poisonous, as are all parts of the yew tree except (as mentioned) the soft part of the berries around the seeds.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:50 pm »
Thanks Landroverroy, I'm going to be very careful.
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS