Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blonde question re fresh pork  (Read 7954 times)

countrymum91

• Joined May 2016
Blonde question re fresh pork
« on: November 23, 2016, 10:24:16 am »
 :pig: :pig:
Hi all

I picked our pigs up yesterday (cut) from the abattoir having been slaughtered Monday. Must it be (like fish) frozen before cooking to reduce parasite risk? Obviously it's in cold storage at present (some freezer some fridge) but would love some tonight.

Please help!
Thank you  :thumbsup:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Blonde question re fresh pork
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:29:17 am »
We always keep some out for eating straight away... its perfectly safe

Enjoy!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 02:49:30 pm »
Ohhhh dear.... please not the blonde word.... I myself am blonde and I can vouch that not all of them are dumb ;) We always have a piece to eat the same day we bring the meat back, always have done and nothing wrong with that at all. Wouldn't it depend on how the animal was kept for it to be like that of course though? In my own humble opinion its just too good not to   :yum:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:52:29 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »
No it can be cooked and is a real treat when you get your first back so hope you have a great pork fest this evening.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 04:02:26 pm »
Must it be (like fish) frozen before cooking to reduce parasite risk?

Why do you have to do that with fish then?  ???  Is it to kill worm eggs or something?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

countrymum91

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:46:50 pm »
I am not too sure..!! I presume for sushi?  Maybe I just picked that up as a chinese whisper...

And thank you so much guys.  It was amazing!  A bit funny eating something that I was patting Monday morning but I knew they had a lovely life and no idea the end was nigh.  Can't wait to try some new breeds and perhaps a few lambs next year!  Thanks again  :love:

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 08:04:23 am »
Just to set the record straight - fish doesn't need to be frozen prior to eating.

While on this subject, lemmings don't commit mass suicide leaping from cliffs - nor is it a cross between a lemon & lime.

However the word gullible was removed from the English dictionary during the last revision  :innocent:

Hope you enjoyed your Pork supper  ;D :thumbsup:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:52:33 pm »
Glad you enjoyed your pork supper.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:08 pm »
Coincidentally this came up on a food programme that was on in the background the other night. Fish that is to be used for sushi has to be frozen before use in the UK and Europe to reduce the risk of food-borne illnesses.

They didn't say anything about fish for cooking, but as they did say freezing or cooking destroys the parasites I doubt it would be required - or for other meat that is to be cooked.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 09:57:31 pm »
Coincidentally this came up on a food programme that was on in the background the other night. Fish that is to be used for sushi has to be frozen before use in the UK and Europe to reduce the risk of food-borne illnesses.

They didn't say anything about fish for cooking, but as they did say freezing or cooking destroys the parasites I doubt it would be required - or for other meat that is to be cooked.

That is also my understanding.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »
I stand corrected - apologies, never too old to learn.......please don't tell me I'm wrong about the lemmings though .

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 12:43:09 am »
If I remember my parasitology right, freezing kills the Ansakis worm in fish, making it safe to then eat raw. Freezing pork to below -10 for 5 days should kill Taenia solium (the pork tapeworm), but so too does cooking it thoroughly.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »
I doubt the average domestic freezer is cold enough to  kill potential parasites in meat , so it would need to be cooked  (although there is a thing where they use acid liquid like lemon juice to 'cook' wafer thin pork - doesnt appeal to me.)

I can confirm though that fish (or meat) for cooking don't need to be frozen first , so long as they are cooked propperly

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 08:37:32 am »
If I remember my parasitology right, freezing kills the Ansakis worm in fish, making it safe to then eat raw. Freezing pork to below -10 for 5 days should kill Taenia solium (the pork tapeworm), but so too does cooking it thoroughly.

Dans

thought it was 21 days for pork worms, that's what we've been doing before dehydrating for the dog treats we sell

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 08:48:58 am »
Can't find my course notes now  (probably in the loft). But Stanford uni says less than 21.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/parasites/ParaSites2004/Taeniasis/

Is there a downside to freezing for longer though?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS