Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sending wethers to the slaughter for the first time. Advice please.  (Read 3749 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
I'm luck that I don't have to do this personally: a friendly farmers son, who has a small flock of his own, has offered to take mine when he takes his. He is a really nice guy, brought up on a farm and used to handling farm animals and I know he wouldn't do anything that wasn't good for the animals, but I'm a big softy and I'm stressing that they will be moved about too much and won't know what the hell is happening (if you know what I mean).
The plan is to collect my 2 on Saturday morning and house them at his before taking then to the abattoir on Sunday.  They will be killed on Monday before being hung and butched ready for collection the following Saturday.

What do you think?  I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Sending wethers to the slaughter for the first time. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:23 pm »
I'll leave the movement chain issue with you  :innocent:

Will the wethers cope - yes they will be fine. What do you want them to know - that they are going to be slaughtered?  :thinking:  Personally I would rather take my own straight there but sometimes I know we have to rely on other people for transport. I think you'll find you are more stressed than them!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 06:18:22 pm »
You would need to check with your farmer friend if that's ok- moving your lambs onto his holding will trigger a 6 day standstill so he can't move anything off his holding (unless direct to slaughter) for 6 days.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »
That sounds ideal. The only thing I'd say is could you stomach going with them, to see how it all works? That way you'll be prepared if you have to do it yourself next time.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:13:56 pm »
Standstill doesn't apply if moving to slaughter, so should be fine. Sounds ideal to me, and no I wouldn't necessarily go with them.

The meat will be delicious!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:40:10 pm »
I think Twizzel is right though Anke - if they move onto another farm, surely that will put that farm into standstill for 6 days?

AFAIK, the standstill exemption only applies for animals going direct to slaughter. So in other words your friend could put two of his own in with yours and take them all to the abbatoir together, but he couldn't for example sell lambs to another farm until the standstill period has expired.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:26:38 pm »
Standstill doesn't apply if moving to slaughter, so should be fine. Sounds ideal to me, and no I wouldn't necessarily go with them.

The meat will be delicious!

Nope sorry- it's fine for those specific lambs going to slaughter but puts the rest of his holding on a standstill I.e he can't move any stock to market or other holdings- only direct to slaughter. So that is something to ask him, he should know what his plans are for the following week.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 09:29:50 pm »
I am sure the farmer friend will know how to handle transport documentation...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 04:15:43 pm »
Ask if you can go with him, and get him to show you the ropes.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:45:03 pm »
As Foobar says. If you can go to with someone who appreciates your sensitivity it will demystify it for you which will help next time. Those of us not born and bred to it have all been through the first time at the abbatior angst. If you can't face it this time then your plan is a good one as it deals with the first issue, seeing them off, then you can save the next issue, unloading at the abbatior for next time. Now, several trips later I feel reconciled that I have taken care of my lambs throughout by taking them myself compared with say selling at market and not know their final destination

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:11 am »
I generally put sheep for the abattoir in the shed, back up the trailer to the gateway, let down the ramp and tie everything firmly in place so the sheep can't get out and leave it all overnight.  By morning they accept the trailer isn't a threat and I lead them up the ramp with a feed bucket.  This is particularly useful if the weather's bad in the morning as the sheep, the ramp and we are dry.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 06:21:55 pm »
Thank you all. 
In the end it all went well (apart from the catching, which took both of us, 2 farmers, 2 farmers sons, a 4x4, 2 quads, a bucket of feed and an experienced sheepdog. Blooming shetlands!).   
We collected the meat from the abattoir and dropped them off at the customers the same day and I didn't feel too bad about it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS