Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone here used the Clipex metal fencing system?  (Read 10262 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Anyone here used the Clipex metal fencing system?
« on: November 22, 2016, 05:09:52 pm »
I have my own take on the Clipex system (after messing around with a trial order of various post types etc) and have just ordered 2 fields'/5 acres' worth to which I shall be applying bespoke mod's for end-strainers and corners.  My mod's to the Clipex "system" worked well in trials (albeit with quite a few re-modifications!!).  Whether they will work in the longer term, to produce a very durable fence, remains to be seen, but it's an experiment in minimalist fencing and I have braced myself for further/future mod's:  however, I am actually very optimistic. 
Just wondering whether anyone might have Clipex experiences to share !?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Anyone here used the Clipex metal fencing system?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »
I have used it.  I wish they would do a strainer that you can hang a gate off :).  And the limited holes to put the strainer braces in is a pain in the butt unless you have square fields.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:39:32 pm »
We've used it.  Its great.  We made chestnut box strainers for the ends and its important to strain the netting before putting the intermediate posts in or else you risk putting the post in line with the netting's uprights which is a pain.  We did it right first time (cause we were following the youtube video) and wrong the second time (cause we thought we knew better) and then realised why we did it in the other order the first time.  OH strained his back banging 200m of posts in in one day.  but overall will never go back to wooden posts and staples. We're planning to do the next set with the clippex ends because the ground is so hard and its not much different in price.  I know what you mean about hanging a gate off the strainer post but its never best practice to do that so I don't mind that they don't offer it. 
Never ever give up.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:00:50 pm »
Putting the intermediates in after the netting is an annoyance, if like me you were putting the fence against a wall! ... one trick is to use the gripple wire tightener to move the uprights on the netting so that they align better.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »
Quite a few thoughts in return so apologies for lengthy post: 
(To note my set-up is for a combo' Roe deer/rabbit fence.  I should also clarify that my earlier remark about durability referred only to my modifications to the “system”!)

Firstly:  Foobar, have you considered drilling the “stay-fast” strainer post to take hinge pins?  I'm wondering whether might be OK with a light-weight gate !?  Also, a ground anchor might counter the sideways shift of weight on the strainer post as the gate swings open.  (That said, I note DartmoorLiz's thoughts on the matter.)  Also, I'm sure I've seen pics of “stay-fast” corners and/or 2-way intermediate bracing struts at various horizontal angles, but I have no experience of the “stay-fast” set-up so I imagine you have found limits wrt your needs.

Yeah, I'm also thinking Clipex is great!  For ends, I'm using beefy posts with the added bracket to take a bracing strut.  For corners;  2 beefy posts can, of course, be used instead of a “stay-fast”  corner set-up.  (Not cheap, but I calculate it is cheaper than a full “stay-fast” corner.  However, I imagine rather more fiddly/time consuming if using stock-fence mesh.) 
I am going to trial use of a single beefy corner-post with a brace bisecting the angle when my new Clipex order arrives.  (Umm! – not really that keen on the idea, BUT will be very cost effective IF it works – am looking forward to seeing how it goes).

While the beefy bracket is designed to take a stay-fast strut, I've concocted my own bracing struts using scaffold tube and fixtures to form a floating brace.  (Pic attached) 

Having very rocky ground in places, I use a 40mm auger first so that I know the posts (beefy posts in particular) can be fully driven “manually” without hindrance.  Proved particularly useful today on a critical corner – had to auger half a dozen holes before finding the sweet spot in between the rocks. (Have used auger also for a few non-beefy posts, but they were then almost too easy to drive!  We shall see how they fare over time!)

As I'm not using stock netting, I won't comment on strain first or after.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:15:55 pm »
 Rock is my main problem....i have one stretch I'm half way through doing which has a foot of soil and then rock underneath.  No sweet spots! So I've bought a generator and a big sds drill with 1m long bits to break it up. I will use clipex rock posts but i have a bend that i need to do with beefies first. *groan* been putting off this job for weeks!!!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »
Foobar:  I have a couple of beefy-bends planned also.  Would be pleased to hear how yours goes, if you get to it before me.  Good luck with the SDS!

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 07:25:11 pm »
An additional thought:  before I discovered Clipex, I checked out the Staplelok system from Hampton Steel (ref' a Forestry Commission paper/guide on various types of fencing systems).  Got no joy what so ever from Hampton or one of their suppliers regarding ends/corners.  HOWEVER, I have just noted that Hampton Steel have seen sense and are now offering a 'system' for ends/corners (similar to a Clipex stay-fast arrangement).  They have an interesting take on the matter.  I haven't checked pricing.       
(I'm thinking no angle problems with this one - ref' a remark made by Foobar.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:41:06 pm by arobwk »

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:00 am »
"use the gripple wire tightener to move the uprights on the netting so that they align better."

Foobar - great trick.  Wish we'd thought of it.  Will do that next time because I agree that putting the netting up first puts it in the way for everything else. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:29:43 am by DartmoorLiz »
Never ever give up.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:02 pm »
An update ref' my minimalist Clipex experiments:  longest span between intermediates so far is some 15-16m.  At that span, the 900mm height HT line wire for my rabbit mesh was feeling/looking a tad droopy with the mesh hung off it.  (To note, I'm only straining to circa 125kg using gripple tool.  Not about to test my concoction of components to, say, 150kg at the moment.)  So have installed a 75mm half-round timber post (just £1.40 a pop) at mid-span and fixed the 900mm height line-wire to it (to level the wire mid-span).  Feels much better - pretty tight actually.  If the Roe give the lower section a test nudge, I reckon (fingers crossed) they will be put off trying to barge through. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:49:08 pm by arobwk »

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:51 pm »
Cor , just had a look at the fencingsystem .. I wish it had been available 30 years ago.

my mate & I whacked in several hundred 3-4 ich posts usssing a back breaking heavy rammer tube with four handles ( Ex MOD emergency anti riot fence post inserter ) , nine years later they all needed replacing .
So we dug out the first post , then did a half way insertion & from there back to the normal spacings .

This last few eeks my pal near Landeilo has been using his 1 tonne tracked excavator with a hydraulic ram & 90 kg drop weigh to put in a few thousand posts round his fields .
 He's still got a few more thousands to do ,  I think I'll tell him about the 30 year guarantee as his daughter will be inheriting the farm / riding stable business once he & his wife pop their clogs

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »
clodhopper - Not sure Clipex posts are actually "guaranteed" for 30 years.  But, that said, my very limited order (10s of, not thousands of) do, indeed, seem very well galvanized.  I'm a fencing novice, but I suspect they would need to be driven-in carefully with a hydraulic rammer so as not to over-drive.  I'm driving man-draulically, but I've still been caught out a couple of times (while merrily !? hefting the rammer) before I realized the post was over-done.   

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 12:34:19 am »
Actually, clodhopper: 
I've just read through McVeigh Parker's guarantee doc' and you were right about the 30-year Clipex guarantee, BUT quite a bit of small-print.  That said, the terms do not seem particularly unreasonable to me (given the nature of the product), but I wouldn't want to test the guarantee with my own set-up! 
Hoping to complete a full 4-line strain to support a 2.5ac roe/rabbit mesh fence over next few days: unfortunately delayed, but I have, in mean-time, trialed one straight-line installation with a 7-line strain with a Clipex Beefy end-post set-up with floating braces as per previously posted pic.  While the passage of time, with changing ground conditions etc, is the only real test, the trial 7-line strain has held up without any discernible end-post movement after many weeks.  I was half expecting tester single-wrap brace wires or brace-wire gripples to 'pop", but they haven't.  I suspect they are near limit though and, despite reverting to a 4-line strain, I am applying additional measures for what I hope will be the permanent installation!  :-\

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:04 pm »
How did the price compare to wooden posts, overall?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
YorkshireLass: 
As I never considered a wooden post fencing system, I am not best placed to give a comparison, but, post for post, they will likely be more expensive.  However, that is only part of the equation.  Leaving aside installation effort/costs, Clipex comes in different post spec's (eco/standard/beefy) and different lengths from the shorty pasture post to the deer-fence posts.  Much will depend on what you need to keep in (or out) and degree of stock pressure I reckon. 
The UK Clipex distributor/main supplier is, of course, McVeigh Parker with an on-line shop (which gives all the various post prices), but there is at least one other supplier who advertises prices on-line also (can't remember who). 
Luckily for me, I have a very local agri' supplies company who does regular business with McVeigh Parker and so my Clipex was delivered for free, i.e. without delivery charge by either McV P or my local supplier  :) :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS