Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Location-specific gastroenteritis?  (Read 3045 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Location-specific gastroenteritis?
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »
Collie has come down with another bout of diarrhoea with some fresh blood/mucus in it. Seems bright in herself, proceeding with plain diet over weekend but ready to call vet. Last time I took her in she just got some probiotic paste.

Thing is, this has happened a few times over the years, but only when staying in a certain house/town and perhaps only after visiting a certain park.

Is there any kind of bug in soil or vegetation that could be doing this?

She doesn't really scavenge, and only eats the odd bit of grass. It's not been the right weather/time for pesticide spraying, and I'd expect more obvious or quicker symptoms from a proper poison.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Location-specific gastroenteritis?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:45:54 pm »
As a vet, this sounds like a colitis, an inflammation of the colon. It commonly results in diarrhoea, often with some fresh blood, in an otherwise bright dog.
It usually suggests a kind of sensitivity, so absolutely could be something she comes across in one place and not others, it could easily be a difference in the soil or plants. Also, it can be triggered by stress, so it could be that being in a less familiar environment sets it off.
If you can identify triggers, that can help, but it is often very difficult to do so.
As you are doing, bland diet and probiotic pastes will help, and there are daily probiotics (various formulations) that you can give thereafter, either every day, or just leading up to times or places where she may be susceptible.
Hope that helps.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:59:18 pm »
Also, it can be triggered by stress, so it could be that being in a less familiar environment sets it off.

In my experience some collies are very sensitive to a change of location or daily routine.  What just looks different to a human will come with a whole host of different smells and noises to a dog, especially somewhere like a park where there will many new and unknown territorial marker scents.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 04:06:59 pm »
Thanks. We're muddling through a not-ideal situation so all a bit frazzled, but it's not purely the house as it's not *all the time* while we're here - but it has *only* been while we're here!

Will order some more probiotic paste (have had a shop webpage open since last bout happened!)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:46:24 pm »
Is she picking up that you are all a bit "frazzled"?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
Our dogs had similar in the spring. Little lab bitch came down with it just before we were due to go on holiday. She was really uncomfortable with it and was crying out and couldn't lie still. Took her to vets and to my horror she left a trail of fresh blood from the car and into the surgery. Vet reassured me that this was quite normal with gastrointestinal irritation. Delayed holiday for a day or so while she recovered. Older dog then came down with it on holiday and took him to vet. The vet said that lots of dogs came to his surgery with these symptoms while on holiday and yes, he said that factors such as stress or contact with unfamiliar bacteria in the soil or water were likely causes.

The older dog was given antibiotics and probiotic paste and the younger dog just the paste. Older dog recovered in a couple of days but it took the young dog over 3 weeks before her motions returned to normal. The vet wasn't concerned and said that it sometimes took quite a long time for full recovery until the bacterial balance went back to normal.
 :fc: that your dog recovers quickly.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 05:24:47 pm »
I usually try a probiotic yoghurt first for any digestive upset - 9 times out of 10 that's all they need.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »
I usually try a probiotic yoghurt first for any digestive upset - 9 times out of 10 that's all they need.

Unfortunately Madam thinks normal yoghurt is beneath her  ::)  I used to let her lick the empty tubs of home made yoghurts, but I can't get hold of that at the moment and Lidl's offerings are just not the same  ;D

I don't panic over a slightly dodgy stomach but I do when there's an impressive looking amount of blood :/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:45:46 am »
I don't panic over a slightly dodgy stomach but I do when there's an impressive looking amount of blood :/

Yes, I'd have been to the vet with that, too.  Could have been a perforated bowel, or anything; definitely worth getting it checked.

I just thought it was worth mentinoning that probiotic yoghurt is a good home remedy - and considerably cheaper than veterinary probiotic paste ;).  It was a pal who is a vet gave me the tip.  He'll never be rich but he has a lot of loyal customers.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:10:27 am »
How is she YorkshireLass?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:37 am »
All fine, thank you :) moving back to normal diet from chicken and potato (much to her disappointment!).
We haven't been back to the suspected park either.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 12:34:13 pm »
Glad that she's on the mend.  :thumbsup:

I know that it's a worry when you see the blood!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 03:50:11 pm »
It occurred to me - she cleans herself like a cat does, so she only has to walk through or be splashed by something, to then lick it and ingest it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS