Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finishing Turkeys  (Read 2248 times)

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
Finishing Turkeys
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:38:10 am »
Is it time to start using finishing food on Turkeys
Any tips ideas how to finish them?
First time for me and they could really use some weight
Cheers

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Finishing Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:54:07 am »
Make sure they always have plenty of very clean water - at that age they drink a lot and won't eat well if they're dehydrated.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:01:30 am »
bit late in the day now to gain weight if they were on a good poultry fattener/growner at 20% plus roaming and given apples, veg etc then they should be ready to go now close to 20 weeks. The finisher is usually corn/cracked wheat from mill or farm feeds I think given a few weeks before just to get good golden fat covering. Its been a few years since I raised them and cant remember the full details.  Assuming you are killing at around 18th December you have 4 weeks left.  If you can weigh one now and halve the weight this gives approx oven weight.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:20 am »
I fed mine mixed corn dampened with cooking oil (unused!) as well as finishers. Feed ad lib and they'll soon put on weight.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 11:24:28 am »
Remember, if they are traditional rather than double breasted they won't get massive whatever you do.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 01:22:16 pm »
We switch to finisher with 7-8 weeks to go, so I'd say yes given we've only 4 week left!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS