Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small business product packaging meat etc .  (Read 2035 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Small business product packaging meat etc .
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:40:57 am »
To day I got the latest "  Weschenfelder. co.uk "  notification  about curing & things . What I did do ( unusually ) was to read the rest of the email .
Apparently they have finally succumbed and  started selling the sort of packaging needed by small producers if they want to put the sausages & meats in packs .

With a recent order  I had ther latrsst Recipe card enclosed ..it's far removed from the old one . This new one gives you the recipes for all manner of sausages , salami's , burgers , curing just like the old card did but it now includes an accurate weight of ther herbs to use in the small holders reduced size batcheds of product .

IE
I got a 500 grm bag of sausage herbs ..hadn't a clue as to how much to use in a 10 pound batch of sausages , same with their bread crumbs .

The latest sheet says use 1/4 pound ( 113 gram ) of the herbs ( 454 g to a pound ) , 3/4 pounds of the dried pinhead rusk (  339 gram )

That is fantastic for last time I put too much of the herbs in the sausages .. they tasted bitter .
 We struggled to eat them so at th next batch I rang TIM to ask what amounts were need for a 10 pound final stuffing weight and asked him to give a more accurate break down in th recipes for the smaller batched  being made  .

Good luck , my next batch of Lincolnshire style sausages with fresh apple & fresh home grown ginger & fresh ground black pepper is soon to happen .
!
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Small business product packaging meat etc .
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:21 am »
Good to see a company responding to customer demands :thumbsup:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 05:19:57 pm »
When I read the post last night about people doing small pig rearing enterprises and finding if didn't work when they tried to expand  it caused my head to work out whilst I slept , that  it can be a fine line in a sensible profit margin as to what packaging you can get away with and still have a presentable professional looking product.

We had the  same with our honey's & other bee products ..Packaging & display material  took a large amount of profitability  from us . Cheap jars were ls than 50 p each by the gross .The hexagonal ones were nearly 70 p each .   Generic honey labels were a fraction the price of my quality self designed unique embossed labels
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 07:34:50 pm »
That is a really good point [member=28519]cloddopper[/member]. Ideally I would opt for the minimalist pack to ensure the customer is getting the best value from the product rather than paying for packaging. But it is kinda interesting to visualise a Farmers market where people have choice of minimalist and fancy packed goods. The challenge is to make minimalist work for a premium product as people have been conditioned to pay more for fancy packs rather than quality contents.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS