Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 205794 times)

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
Re: bird flu
« Reply #660 on: February 16, 2017, 12:02:40 pm »
What I cant get my head around in these cases its been affecting large industrial farmed birds that have poor resistance and in close proximity to each other.  I dont think the plan is particularly scientific if there was a serious outbreak then there would be little you could do and this is like someone said on the TV fighting a flood with a stick. Once a big flock of wild birds have it it would spread like wildfire.  I am perplexed to the long term plan with this and whether is is scientifically proved anything. If there are intermittent outbreaks for the next year does that mean the restrictions would be the same.  As for reading that ponds etc should be fenced off I howled with laughter who actually writes this stuff?
I think the close proximity is the key issue. My wife (a 'proper' doctor) tells me that the US army found that outbreaks of meningitis in troops could be avoided simply by spacing bunks slightly further apart. Although some wild flocks are quite crowded they are nothing compared to an intensive commercial flock and despite all the WWT patrols and at least some of Joe Public on the lookout for dead wild birds there have been remarkably few cases (personally, despite much searching, I have yet to see a wild bird with so much as a feather out of place)
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #661 on: February 16, 2017, 12:40:48 pm »
I can't find a self assessment form?
Where is it?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #662 on: February 16, 2017, 01:02:02 pm »
I can't find a self assessment form?
Where is it?

This is the link to the Welsh site and the forms are at the bottom to download

http://gov.wales/topics/environmentcountryside/ahw/disease/avianflu/?lang=en
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #663 on: February 16, 2017, 01:52:07 pm »
Thanks Bionic..

Now, how to go about filling that in!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #664 on: February 16, 2017, 03:04:22 pm »
Wow!! 

Truthfully, we couldn't meet many of the conditions specified on the self assessment form. I think we're going to have to try moving the hen house and temporary pen to fresh ground, and extending their captivity instead. Oh, and yes of course I've prevented wild birds from going near said fresh ground for at least the past 50 days....... maybe..  :(.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #665 on: February 16, 2017, 03:19:09 pm »
Stupid form is written for large flocks ... totally unsuitable for small flocks in middle of nowhere .... now where is the n/a  key on my keyboard   :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #666 on: February 16, 2017, 04:19:16 pm »
If it's a Microsoft keyboard you'll find it next to the 'Anglicise' key.

Love the form - pity there's no space for 'comments' - having read it I can think of a few!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #667 on: February 16, 2017, 04:24:10 pm »
So what are people in England in low risk zones or in Wales planning to do come the 28th?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #668 on: February 16, 2017, 04:54:15 pm »
I'm planning on netting off my garden waste heap and area under the leylandi as I've found two dead birds there. I'm going to string up some CDs on the fruit trees to act as a deterrant to wild birds and keep the food and water under cover (I'm hoping my chickens will walk through a clear shower curtain cut into strips to get to it).

I'm gonna do the same for the geese maybe putting a few hurdles around the paddling pools and covering with tarp.

That sound ok to people? We are not in a high risk area.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #669 on: February 16, 2017, 09:16:40 pm »
OH has spent hours putting up lines of baler twine as our run is much too big to net, going to hang strips of cut up feed bags and old CDs local primary school are going to make scarecrows for me and food and water will be under cover. Geese are in the next run with food under cover and just a bucket to drink from, they have a paddling pool but it just gets filled to slow them a splash around then I tip it out again. Water used to come from an Ibc container filled with rain water but will now be filled from the tap. I also have buckets to keep outside the gates with Sorgene disinfectant. I'm sure my girls will be happy to get out if their stable although they look remarkably well and are laying well too.
Anne

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #670 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:43 pm »
So what are people in England in low risk zones or in Wales planning to do come the 28th?

I shall carry on showering, and complete change of clothing every time I enter and exit my environmentally controlled and completely enclosed hen run.
I vacuum my garden daily to remove all traces of wild bird feathers or droppings. This is collected in a disposable paper bag, which I then seal in a plastic bin bag and place in the bin.
I have one of those big weather balloons flying over my garden to deter wild birds.
My dogs have been placed in kennels for the duration of the epidemic to prevent them carrying any infection picked up while on a walk.
I have fitted an intercom system to my gate, and go there to collect my mail and receive visitors. No one is allowed past.

My pigs, however, as not deemed to be a species affected by the virus, are free to fly around as they wish. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #671 on: February 17, 2017, 09:01:59 am »
I can see that you have taken minimal precautions Landroverroy but feel that you should try harder.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #672 on: February 17, 2017, 09:23:47 am »
I've prevented wild birds from going near said fresh ground for at least the past 50 days.

Yes, I thought being told to do this for 50 days in a document published less than 28 days from the implementation of the regs was a nice touch. No bother  - just pull the tarp off the Tardis and jump-start it.
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #673 on: February 17, 2017, 09:34:51 am »
Unfortunately I already used the tarp to cover the chicken run...... and I had to use the Tardis to house our ducks. You wouldn't think it would be big enough, but......

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #674 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
Being serious for a minute though, the Welsh Self Assessment is NOT a risk assessment; it's a checklist that enables you to show that you're complying with the various bits of guidance:

This self assessment form will assist all keepers of poultry and other captive birds to provide assurance they are compliant with the required measures that apply within the zone. The required risk mitigation measures should be considered as the minimum expected. All keepers are encouraged where possible to exceed these.

The problem is, the questions are then worded in a very specific and prescriptive way, for example:

"A3) What robust (written) records do you have in place relating to movements of people, vehicles and equipment into or out of your bird area?"

Now, a risk assessment for a smallholder might be "this is my private house, so the only vehicles, people or equipment in the area shared with poultry are mine or me. Because these vehicles are not visiting other farms or poultry production areas, the risk of introducing infection via this route is considered low".

Naturally, as a responsible keeper, I will do everything reasonably practicable to comply with the guidance and minimise the risk. However, edicts like this are really unhelpful for the likes of us. For example, the only true answer to question A3 is "no records are kept", which then opens me up to the accusation that I have not done the "minimum expected".

Repeat for the other twenty questions and you can see where the difficulty lies for smallholders.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:54:35 am by Womble »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS