Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 183207 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: bird flu
« Reply #435 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:50 pm »
My rheas feed from a container on a hen house so they don't have to bend down they are fed pellets the water is in a bucket a open bucket they never use shelter they are out 24 7 in all weather

A couple of pages back there is a link to the DEFRA fact sheet.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #436 on: January 10, 2017, 10:26:27 pm »
I don't know why you feel the need to be so aggressive.

There's nothing agressive about simply stating that what you wrote is nonsense. You just don't like hearing it, tough.
Case closed for me.

It may be nonsense to you but not to people with commercial free range flocks. You only have to follow the threads on here to see what problems people are having with just a few birds to house 24/7. Multiply that several times over and I think you'll find the solutions are not quite as easy as adding a few old pallets and a bit of tarp to the end of a building.

I didn't say that less than ideal conditions will result in certain disease or death but it certainly will make disease control more difficult and miserable poultry or any animal for that matter are more susceptible to stress and disease.

Two birds

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2017, 07:46:21 am »
If you can only keep your birds in such condition that within weeks they die like harmony claims you should have culled them beforehand

Anyone who decided to keep chickens on a commercial scale should have done their research before starting up and been prepared for what-if scenarios
They've all heard of bird flu, it comes around often enough
It's all part of deciding on your set-up when you start your business

I don't accept that for many people who keep only a few birds this situation is so difficult to manage
Where there's a will there's a way

I don't normally post on forums but the unwillingness of some to protect our birds is astonishing

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
We must have had stronger winds than anticipated last night, just got up to a bashed in pen, one side was lifted up about a foot, some of the couplings have come undone and the door doesn't shut properly, this is a heavy 12ft long pen .

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:30 am »
Oh dear. Is it repair-able?
Just read on the BBC website that somewhere in Scotland there were gusts of 129mph recorded early this morning.  :o

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #440 on: January 11, 2017, 08:59:56 am »
Oh dear. Is it repair-able?
Just read on the BBC website that somewhere in Scotland there were gusts of 129mph recorded early this morning.  :o

We must have had them, I've still no idea how some of the joints came undon, most are screwed down onto slabs, it honestly looks like a giant has gone in and heaved it all up at one side.
It's one of those tubular steel jobs, the tarp on the top is what's causing the problem, it's made it into a sailing boat.
It's still together though, trying to get it back on the ground in my jimjams and crocs in the pitch dark isn't something I fancy repeating ????.
Have managed to get the door closed and it's held shut with a boulder, If the whole thing collapses the hens will be safe in the coop, thankfully it's an old fashioned heavy thing, Im more worried if it goes during the day and the hens are out in it.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #441 on: January 11, 2017, 09:16:45 am »
We're surrounded by pheasant shoots here, they are constantly in my garden, it seems rather pointless to me , keeping my hens in, to prevent further spread of disease, when they are still wandering everywhere.
The escapees from the shoots here have, over the years, established a fairly large wild (feral?) colony so not much we can do but keep checking that they are all still healthy. So far, thankfully, they are which is more than can be said for the humans  ;D 
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:53 am »
We must have had stronger winds than anticipated last night, just got up to a bashed in pen, one side was lifted up about a foot, some of the couplings have come undone and the door doesn't shut properly, this is a heavy 12ft long pen .

I think there will be several people doing running repairs this morning. With more gales forecast I think it will test quite a few DIY'ers out there. There is also the possibility of snow so check any tarp covers will stand the extra weight.

I wonder how many chucks are thinking  freedom might just be a strong gust away.  :thinking:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:58 am »
I wonder how many chucks are thinking  freedom might just be a strong gust away.  :thinking:

;D

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #444 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:47 am »

Lol, I did say to them " your in luck girls, you may be out quicker than I thought "
Man wench is going to try to get home early and put more screws in to keep it anchored, and I'll be keeping a close watch on the snow with a broom at the ready to push it off should we get a lot.

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:32 am »
Bernoulli's equation (helpfully or otherwise) gives us:-

Windspeed       Wind pressure
 50mph              30kgf/sq.m
 60mph              43kgf/sq.m
 70mph              59kgf/sq.m
 80mph              77kgf/sq.m

:coat:

The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #446 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:19 am »

Lol, I did say to them " your in luck girls, you may be out quicker than I thought "
Man wench is going to try to get home early and put more screws in to keep it anchored, and I'll be keeping a close watch on the snow with a broom at the ready to push it off should we get a lot.

Not in your jimjams and crocs though!

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #447 on: January 11, 2017, 12:16:30 pm »

Not in your jimjams and crocs though!

Knowing my luck, yes lol.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #448 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »
The 129mph gusts were on Cairngorm.  Don't think anyone keeps hens up there.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2017, 02:45:04 pm »
The 129mph gusts were on Cairngorm.  Don't think anyone keeps hens up there.

That would be "bird flew" rather than "bird flu"!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS