Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 206055 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: bird flu
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2016, 06:07:25 pm »
Northfifeduckling, I hope your luck lasts!  :fc:  We're inundated with foxes here, you're so lucky  :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2016, 06:11:56 pm »
Northfifeduckling, I hope your luck lasts!  :fc:  We're inundated with foxes here, you're so lucky  :)

Thanks, I am quite worried now. I've seen one in the garden once years ago and we can hear them in spring up on the hill. How would you secure a greenhouse, preferably by magic? He can't open the door unless he's got human brains.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #92 on: December 08, 2016, 06:12:22 pm »
I don't have geese but my ducks and chickens are a problem as the both free range and their houses aren't big enough to keep them

The ducks also have lots of drinking buckets and get fed outside in the morning and inside their house in the evening (not a problem). I have taken to standing over them while they have their morning feed and drink so that no wild birds can get a look in and when they have finished as much as they want I remove it all. They have a pond, which I can't do anything about but they can drink there if they w

What do you feed Bionic ?
I used to feed whole wheat, put in water it gives them something to dabble for and hides the feed from sharper beaks. (Used at a wildfowl area as vermin deterrent)

I feed a mix of layers pellets and mixed corn. I might try the mixed corn in water.
thanks
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2016, 06:28:59 pm »

Thanks, I am quite worried now. I've seen one in the garden once years ago and we can hear them in spring up on the hill. How would you secure a greenhouse, preferably by magic? He can't open the door unless he's got human brains.

He'll dig under in no time, just put heavy timber or slabs / bricks all around the edge, you need a 'skirt' of only about 20cm flat onto the ground - all the omlet eglu runs have those, we use lots of them and the foxes have tried everything but never ever got in, despite their cleverness they don't think of starting to dig a foot or more further away from the edge of the run the way rats would do. And padlock the door if possible or put a broom stick at the bottom so it can't be slid open (like people do at sliding patio doors).

The few times a bird slept in the run on a perch rather than in the coop we woke up from a fox standing on top of the run or running all around it digging and trying to get in. Being able to see the birds makes them even more determined (the bird heard it and panicked, which woke us up as that run was right outside our window).

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you so worried!

I'm of the paranoid kind which is a good thing around here with foxes day and night, just for tonight I'd pick them up out of the greenhouse and put them in their normal secure house to sleep. It'd be awful if you were to lose your birds now to a fox!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »
My birds are inside my barn. they are kept in one of the stables so shut  in. I had to do this after the badgers dug under my outside chicken run and killed my birds. I have given them some hay and greens to keep them amused. As they are used to being outside i know they are far from happy.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »
Hadn't thought about foxes . . .  my lot are in the field shelter with meshing and stable doors.  In their usual run we have electric tape all the way round to deter the foxes, but can't do that for the sheep shelter as the sheep can touch it on three sides.

Now I will be awake all night worrying about the foxes.  aaaaaagh!

Think I will go out and put paving slabs all the way round and maybe electric tape at top of door level to deter the foxes - am very tempted to put the in my holiday cottage  :roflanim:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2016, 07:01:03 pm »
Think I will go out and put paving slabs all the way round and maybe electric tape at top of door level to deter the foxes - am very tempted to put the in my holiday cottage  :roflanim:

Why not, I've had birds in the kitchen when a housing problem presented itself. Desperate times etc  :D 
I saw a picture online once of chickens sleeping in a bath  ;D
If you only have a few maybe a downstairs toilet would suffice, just keep the lid down  ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2016, 07:06:43 pm »
What we have experienced with poultry in a greenhouse was rats - ginormous ones - digging in from underneath, then pulling chicks down into their runs.  We ended up putting fine mesh over the whole floor, well held down, but of course the hens then couldn't scratch.  Fine for ducks though. And all might be ok if no chicks and no bantams.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2016, 07:24:26 pm »
I must admit that the requirement to keep hens under cover presented us with a real puzzle. We now only have two and they are used to free ranging through the orchard during the day so confining them to their fairly small henhouse with limited space to move around doesn't appeal.

Not having any other under cover areas/buildings available and, as usual no spare cash, it needed a bit of creative thinking and in the end we decided to utilise our currently unused 2m x 3m polytunnel putting it up tight against the hen house so that there was access into the house, and using a mesh panel barrier at the other end with the flap rolled down to it. The whole lot is held together with a variety of tent pegs, string, an odd bit of chain, and a few reusable cable ties from the 'cuminandy' box. Surprisingly the girls took to it straight away after we added the drinker, feeder, and a dust bath. Provided we don't get any high winds (we do up here!) it might last a few weeks or just long enough to do the job - we'll see.

For what it's worth this is what it looks like:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2016, 07:33:14 pm »
Looks really good, actually!  :thumbsup:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2016, 08:02:08 pm »
Yup! That's we've done as well. Except that I cannot upload the photos (No IT skills whatsoever).

I had not got round to clearing the polytunnel so there are masses of fairly dead tomato and cucumber plants lying around, which the hens are loving. Maybe they will clear them all. Every cloud has a silver lining!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2016, 09:14:28 pm »

Dan's,  geese are exempt from the under cover rules, welfare i think, feed inside at night and it should be OK, it's mainly a case of discouraging wild birds from congregating and messing round feeders.

no they aren't-its accepted that if you have many and they are not housed at all, it might be possible to apply for an exemption but otherwise they need to be undercover.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2016, 10:19:32 pm »
In the PDF doc linked earlier in the thread it says certain species if not practical to keep inside then at least feed away from wild birds, it would be cruel to keep mine in their small night quarters, for 30 days. They will be allowed out but fed inside when shut in for the night.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2016, 11:02:01 pm »
It's particularly daft in the case of geese as they graze. Not sure how you're supposed to stop wild birds pooping on the grass!  ???

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2016, 11:57:17 pm »

Dan's,  geese are exempt from the under cover rules, welfare i think, feed inside at night and it should be OK, it's mainly a case of discouraging wild birds from congregating and messing round feeders.

Unfortunately not.

The pdf on this page outlines what to do with geese: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu#biosecurity

I'll paste the relevant bits for those who may have trouble with the pdf:

There are certain species of bird – such as ostrich, captive wildfowl or geese, which are
not normally housed – for which the housing steps outlined above may not be practicable.
In such cases you should isolate their food and water from wild birds. Available feed and
water will attract wild birds; by feeding and watering your birds under cover, the possibility
of mingling is reduced. The steps you should take, where practical, include:
• Providing extra protection to feed and water stations to avoid attracting wild birds.
• Rotating feeding times. Many wild birds learn when captive birds are fed and
congregate at these times.
• Preventing your birds from accessing open water that may be contaminated. Ensure
that your birds receive only mains or treated water, or ensure that reservoirs or storage
tanks are covered. Sealed nipple systems can be considered.

Additional deterrents
When designing any protective structure, if you need to use posts, you should think about
incorporating spike strips to deter perching. In all cases you should also consider making
use of wild bird deterrents such as flutter tape, flashing lights and scarecrows. However, in
doing so, you should be careful to avoid any potential impacts on those of your birds who
are not screened from such deterrents; particularly flashing lights

Geese
Where small numbers of geese are kept, it may be possible to house them. However, if
that is not possible, temporary netted structures should be used where practical which can
cover large areas. Feeding and watering under cover and using wild bird deterrents will
reduce contact with wild birds.

Captive wildfowl and waterfowl
Birds should be housed whenever possible. As a minimum, all feeding and watering
should take place under cover or in some form of structure to exclude wild birds as far as
possible. Separate your birds from wild birds by netting their enclosures, and make
sensible use of deterrents to reduce their contact with wild birds if practical. You should
consider moving your birds away from large bodies of water that attract wildfowl.
Where separation is not possible, for example where there are large numbers of waterfowl,
every effort should be made to discourage wild birds and keep feed separate.

Hope that helps,

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS