Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 183187 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: bird flu
« Reply #705 on: February 24, 2017, 06:10:47 pm »
Yes, that's what we used.
Enjoy your weekend.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #706 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:51 am »
I'm seriously confused now. So far they are still imprisoned separately until I understand. The rule of keeping wild birds from food does not make any sense whatsoever, once you let them out they eat what they find and where wild birds live, eat and poop. So either I let them out or I don't. One of our local farmers seems to think the restrictions are only for England and Wales from today.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:50:49 am by northfifeduckling »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #707 on: February 28, 2017, 12:17:49 pm »

Hidden in the BEEB business news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39110992
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #708 on: February 28, 2017, 12:28:20 pm »
What are the rules for Scotland?
Do you have a map showing high risk areas?

Been in our local paper about the differences between Welsh and English rules.

On the English side of the Severn river there are shaded areas showing  poultry to be  in high risk areas and should be still housed or in netted runs while on the Welsh side they can free range provided that biosecurity measures are in place.

Hey ho

orchard

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #709 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:05 pm »
Thankfully, I think the Welsh have made the best decision.

I think Scotland are ALL housed until April, iirc

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #710 on: February 28, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »
No, birds in Scotland can now be let out provided certain conditions are met (similar to Wales). Our main problem is the requirement to 'drain all waterlogged areas'. After the rain we had last week, that's basically the whole of our smallholding!

I don't *think* Scotland has any areas defined as high risk though - I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:00:57 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

orchard

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #711 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »
Thanks Womble, not too bad then, hopefully the water will drain out soon ! :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #712 on: March 01, 2017, 11:47:25 am »
So..... having filled out the checklist, netted off the pond and waited for the ground to dry out a bit, we let the hens out this morning.

Having been on mud and shavings for three months, they made a beeline straight for the dry ground at the back of the hayshed and started to dust-bathe. TWO HOURS later, they're still at it!  (BTW, I checked for mites etc last week and they were all fine).

This confirms to me that we really have compromised their welfare by keeping them in an inadequate run since November. We started keeping hens because we didn't like the conditions birds were being kept in commercially, so to have to impose even worse conditions on our own birds is upsetting to say the least.

Also spare a thought for the ducks, who are still inside because they're not allowed to talk to the hens any more   :(.

Our next task is to have a really good think about what we need to do in advance to make things more pleasant the next time this happens.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:23:00 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #713 on: March 01, 2017, 12:19:37 pm »
I have a brook flowing between my house back garden and the poultry pasture!
That means I can't let them out as I'm in the high risk area! This week mallards started coming back and paddling in our brook. There is no way I can fence it of without my geese being locked in the roofed run  :gloomy:

Just rang the melton mowbray market, they said the normal Tuesday poultey auction is still closed - ban still on - they said to ring them in couple of weeks...
So sad! Once they open there's gonna so much madness on there!
I just hope they open when I'm on holiday from work otherwise I will be very very upset! I took those holidays just to be able to buy my new hens from Melton!!!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #714 on: March 01, 2017, 12:46:27 pm »
My ducks are still in... still fed up and definitely not laying  :gloomy:  my hens aren't so bad as their original enclosure has just been netted but the ducks are really cheesed off, and not allowed out until end of April now at least. I need to get the drakes culled really as they are starting to pick on the girls  :(

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #715 on: March 01, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »
Good point by Womble about welfare. The fact that birds are not laying confirms they are stressed and I'm surprised there haven't been reports of sickness (like Myco flareups), as when stressed their immune system is compromised. I would say they are now more likely to contract Avian Flu or any other viruses when released.

We are also surrounded by H5N8 now, but only ducks and geese have been slaughtered and there is no restriction on housing chickens as there was last year.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #716 on: March 01, 2017, 01:46:17 pm »
That means I can't let them out as I'm in the high risk area! This week mallards started coming back and paddling in our brook. There is no way I can fence it of without my geese being locked in the roofed run  :gloomy:

Since we took our ducks off the pond we have had visits by the heron. Before we never had visits by the heron or any wildfowl even though they visit the river close by.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #717 on: March 01, 2017, 01:57:27 pm »
My 5 hens are now out and very happy. dust baths were the first thing they went for. As my girls are all getting on in years I don't think I will be putting them through another winter like this. Although they had loads of space in my barn its clear they have so missed the outside freedom. I also noticed there was a gang up on bulling one of the smaller hens to the point she just would go and hide in behind the straw bales. Now she will not even go into their indoor stable at night. I have to catch her and put her in her own little pen just incase the ponies stand on her during the night. Makes me quite sad to see her on her own.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #718 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:22 pm »

Since we took our ducks off the pond we have had visits by the heron. Before we never had visits by the heron or any wildfowl even though they visit the river close by.
Same here! I actually saw the big grey heron yesterday! Took a video of the smaller white one the other day as well. I keep seeing them regularly.
Plus dozens of pigeons + blackbirds etc etc
And now the mallards...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #719 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
Well, we had some guys cutting some trees down last week but the job has gone over. I can't let the chickens and geese out until they've finished :-( But we hae put up the shower curtain over the feeding area today and they are all walking through it so that is one positive. I am so looking forward to letting them out. I think my girls will be straight to the dust bath too. At least they are laying now so hopefully not feeling too bad.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS