Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bird flu  (Read 205820 times)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
Re: bird flu
« Reply #645 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:02 am »
It has been confirmed 22,000 chickens to be culled on the Suffolk/Nortfolk border - worried now that the restrictions won't be lifted on 28 Feb.  And it is a bit close to home for us.

I was so looking forward to being able to let the girls out again  :( :(

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #646 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:51 am »
Dammit!

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #647 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:02 am »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #648 on: February 14, 2017, 01:54:37 pm »

Wales Only (  Wales is being dealt with as a whole , no high risk areas)  ....  you might like to see this which is extract from NFU Cwmru email .....

Proposed changes to apply after 28 February:

All keepers of poultry and other captive birds must complete an assessment of their premises and then ensure they adopt one or more of the following:
•house their birds
•keep totally separate from wild birds by use of netting etc.
•allow controlled access to outside areas subject to applying additional risk mitigation measures

This places the onus on the keeper to select the best option most applicable to their circumstances to protect their birds. It also permits poultry keepers to continue to house their birds should they wish to do so voluntarily or if they wish to allow their birds back outside (to protect their free range status) they must ensure that the additional risk mitigation measures are complied with. 

In addition to whichever option chosen all keepers of poultry and other captive birds must also ensure that:
•wild birds cannot access feed and water intended for poultry and other captive birds.
•any person who comes into contact with poultry and other captive birds must take all reasonable precautions to avoid the transfer of contamination between premises, including cleansing and disinfection of equipment, vehicles and footwear;
•steps are taken to reduce the movement of people, vehicles or equipment to and from areas where poultry or captive birds are kept to minimise contamination between premises;
•vermin control programmes are implemented, including making the area and buildings where poultry or captive birds are kept inaccessible and unattractive to wild birds;
•housing and equipment is thoroughly cleansed and disinfected at the end of a production cycle;
•the area / range and buildings where poultry or captive birds are kept is regularly checked for signs of wild bird access, kept clean;
•disinfectant, at the right concentration, is kept at all points where people should use it, such as farm entrances and before entering poultry housing or enclosures;
•domestic waterfowl (ducks and geese) are kept separately to, and cannot make contact with, other domestic species;
•Ensure that the site is regularly inspected and kept clean, any spillages are immediately cleaned
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

ColinS

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #649 on: February 15, 2017, 11:46:42 am »
"domestic waterfowl (ducks and geese) are kept separately to, and cannot make contact with, other domestic species"

This is in the England/Scotland document as well. What is the rationale - is it assumed the biosecurity for ducks and geese is inherently less tight or something to do with the apparent susceptibility of waterfowl to AI?
The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man - Darwin

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #650 on: February 15, 2017, 12:10:50 pm »
"domestic waterfowl (ducks and geese) are kept separately to, and cannot make contact with, other domestic species"

This is in the England/Scotland document as well. What is the rationale - is it assumed the biosecurity for ducks and geese is inherently less tight or something to do with the apparent susceptibility of waterfowl to AI?

I can't see the point. It wont matter if it is your chickens, ducks or geese that get it, they will all be culled!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #651 on: February 15, 2017, 12:21:50 pm »
I noted this too which is a pity as I wanted to put my chickens in with the ducks to give them more room :-(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #652 on: February 15, 2017, 01:54:13 pm »
Just a reflection on current measures. . . .
You would imagine that the owner of the 22,000 birds culled on the Suffolk/Norfolk border would be following the rules to the letter as it's their livelihood.
But doesn't seem to have done much good does it?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #653 on: February 15, 2017, 03:12:23 pm »
You would imagine that the owner of the 22,000 birds culled on the Suffolk/Norfolk border would be following the rules to the letter as it's their livelihood.
I think that's been the case almost from the start?  :(.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #654 on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:36 pm »

22,000 birds would be more than likely indoor hens and these outfits have extraordinary bio security so I am somewhat confused to how this happened too.   What I cant get my head around in these cases its been affecting large industrial farmed birds that have poor resistance and in close proximity to each other.  I dont think the plan is particularly scientific if there was a serious outbreak then there would be little you could do and this is like someone said on the TV fighting a flood with a stick. Once a big flock of wild birds have it it would spread like wildfire.  I am perplexed to the long term plan with this and whether is is scientifically proved anything. If there are intermittent outbreaks for the next year does that mean the restrictions would be the same.  As for reading that ponds etc should be fenced off I howled with laughter who actually writes this stuff?

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #655 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:41 pm »
Someone probably bought in a consignment of birds from hungary/romania or wherever to save a few quid - just like the BM outbreaks a few years back... "our biosecurity is airtight, except for when we import poultry from high risk zones because its cheap"

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #656 on: February 16, 2017, 07:34:20 am »
Has everyone in Wales seen the risk assessment form we are supposed to complete ...... One size fits all nonsense again!

Oh and on the duck hen debate ..... Mine are in together,  and will stay that way.... I'm not reducing my flock welfare for the nano chance of them getting bird flu ,when they would all be culled anyway. 

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

UPoneacre

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Llanidloes, Powys
« Reply #657 on: February 16, 2017, 10:36:14 am »
Oh drat it.
Not seen any risk assessment forms - is this something that just applies to registered flocks or does it/should it apply to us with just a few hens?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #658 on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
I would guess that in large commercial flocks a percentage of birds would be expected to die in the normal course of things anyway.  Only when the numbers became excessive would the alarm bells start ringing for avian 'flu. The disease could have been circulating through the birds for days before that happened.  The symptoms sound similar to mycoplasma, except for the blue neck and head, which I guess would be hard to spot through the feathers.

As I understand it the virus is found in the gut of waterfowl but has in recent years mutated to inhabit the throats of chickens and turkeys.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #659 on: February 16, 2017, 11:35:54 am »
Just looked at the self assessment form. 7 pages.....

I want to do the right thing but most of it not appropriate for 5 hens and 5 ducks.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS