Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: will (small) pigs eat rushes & big brambles?  (Read 9241 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: will (small) pigs eat rushes & big brambles?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 12:18:18 pm »

It's also good to put a hand full of ash in the middle of a clump of acid ground loving rushes as it alkaline . it helps knock thm down apparently .

That's an interesting idea CH, been wondering best use for the sacks of rayburn ash :-).

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 11:49:24 pm »
Yes I keep meaning to try Clodhoppers suggestion - trouble is I only think of it when I'm preparing to re-light the fire in the evening when it's cold and dark so the ashes are just piling up by compost heap ATM.

Actually the shetland pony and even the sheep will eat rushes when they're hungry in the winter, but they don't do much in the summer when the rushes need cutting. And as for the brambles, if I flatten them (and chain harrow where possible) the sheep will strip them over the winter and are quite partial to the new leaves & shoots in the spring, so an annual flattening to keep them from growing into thickets seems to be working.

I am tackling the bracken/bramble with a mix of scything, rolling and harrowing, but due to the sheer size of the overgrown area that's only workable by hand (12 acres or so) I'm keen to try alternatives to mowing by hand or I'll still be working on it when I'm 100 yrs old.

The pigs enclosure does seem to be more open so they're having an effect.  I considered reducing the available area as harmony suggested, but for now I'm going to wait and see what they do - It may take longer to clear but as long as it's getting clearer that's OK.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 11:26:59 am »
Yes I keep meaning to try Clodhoppers suggestion - trouble is I only think of it when I'm preparing to re-light the fire in the evening when it's cold and dark so the ashes are just piling up by compost heap ATM.
Same here, but i keep them in old feed sacks, planning on using some round fruit bushes, potash gets washed out quickly

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 03:56:11 pm »
I put wood ash on a patch of nettles all one winter.  I can't say there was any appreciable difference.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 04:39:27 pm »
Straight from the stove round the trees/under hedge. I'm too lazy to bag up and store them. There was a peice on gardeners question time a few weeks ago. The potash gets washed out quickly. It is only used by plants during growing Eason. Fresh ash is quite harsh, it mellows over time. They suggested it's better to bag up, and hang in shed till spring/summer then spread as needed. Fruit trees especially.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS