Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: unwell cockerel  (Read 2226 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
unwell cockerel
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:00:30 pm »
Our boy has been a bit under the weather for a few days. First thing coming out of the house today he threw up and he seems pretty miserable. Would you isolate him in case it's contagious? I  found though that whenever I isolate a bird they are more likely to die, being on their own...Any advice if there are bugs going round in central Scotland ? :(

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: unwell cockerel
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:28:47 pm »
Never had a chicken do that, I'd take him to the vet.
What exactly did he throw up, was it like sludge or did it still look like food?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:39 pm »
Throwing up in poultry can be indicative of sour crop with too much fluid in their crop. If that is the case, I would suggest isolating him to prevent him eating, keep him on fluids, and possibly add a little live yoghurt, which I have found helps to sort them out. Another option is some Avipro avian, that contains, I think, the right sort of pro bacteria to correct the crop acidity.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:44:05 pm »
I agree with Louise. It's sour crop possibly due to a blockage further down the digestive system. Our vet gave us a large syringe with a tube which can be used to remove fluid from the crop- it is slid down the throat very very carefully and then fluid is drawn up into the syringe and the tube removed. Water is then given by the same tube and the process repeated until the crop contents loosen. Water only diet is essential, with Avipro Avian will help. But to be honest it sounds like he is too far gone to recover unless his crop can be emptied, as there is no room for any water. There is a technique involving holding him upside down and pushing the crop contents out- we've never tried as you only have about 10 seconds before they suffocate.

We've never had a chicken die from being isolated NFD and we've isolated dozens, it's always something else.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:02:28 pm »
Never had a chicken do that, I'd take him to the vet.
What exactly did he throw up, was it like sludge or did it still look like food?

brownish sludge, haven't seen him eat yesterday

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 06:18:15 pm »
Doesn't sour crop smell, though? I only have had to deal with a blocked crop and have one hen who's had a pendant crop for nearly a year now and doing fine (used to empty it for her but after being away over Christmas it turned out she did fine without me doing that so I stopped).

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
It does smell when really advanced and can become a fungal infection which remains even when the crop is cleared, but the fluid seems to come back up under the pressure of gas given off during food decomposing in the digestive system. We've lost too many to this problem, usually cased by eating rubbish like feathers and leaves during the moult.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:14:30 pm »
his breath is rattling now

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 10:52:17 am »
Our policy is to isolate a bird as soon as we notice it's unwell.  That way, hopefully, we'll be dealing with one problem and not dozens.  The outlook for this bird looks very poor, alas.  I would isolate him immediately. This time of year quickly sorts out any birds that are in less than tip top condition for Winter and whatever he has could be infectious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS