Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter feeding  (Read 1621 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Winter feeding
« on: November 10, 2016, 03:23:18 pm »
Got 4 kids, now almost fully grown and so far they have been on grass / hedge / weeds and hay in the shed. Plus I keep a bag of goat mix for the bucket but only a handful a day to get them out / in. They are AN crosses, milk varieties I think. Skinny and white but very sweet.

They have access to a 5 acre field with shelter but given that the hedges are getting sparse, should they be having anything else? They look lovely and fat at the moment. But I'm worried about when the weather finally turns and they are maybe in more than out. Will they be OK on just hay and a bit if mix or do they need something else?  A friend told me that too much concentrate can cause problems, especially with the boys.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Winter feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 12:50:50 pm »
They should have ad lib hay just now, even if it looks like there is grass there is very little nutrition in it, if they are still growing they would benefit with some concentrates(Mine are not full size till around 2&half years old. If goatlings about to be put in kid it depends on their condition shouldn't need extra concentrates as being too fat can cause problems when in kid. If they are wethers that are pets then very little concentrates needed- best mix for wethers tup or lamb feed that contains ammonium chloride which will prevent stones and can get the extra copper from red rockie or cattle/goat minerals or a drench they won't need much unless if they are being reared for meat would benefit from extra concentrates.
My kids get approx 250g a mix a day older ones 500g a day for maintenance but it does vary on what else they are getting and their condition and size -Mine  average 50kg adult weight yours being An x will be larger than mine.Hope that helps. Just watch their condition on how much concentrates to give, but hay is a must.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Winter feeding
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:22:29 am »
Thanks for the detailed answer. 2 are wethers which is why I've held back on the concs. Will have a look at tup feed. They have hay all the time in a rack. They look nice and plump at the moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS