Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ginger.  (Read 1592 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Ginger.
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:12:14 pm »
Well I never ever expected to be able to grow ginger here in the UK even in my glasshouse .
 All I did to get a pound of root ginger was buy a bit of ginger in late March that I noticed had a tiny pin head of a green shoot poking up .  I used half th root of ginger for a Chines meal and put th remaining 2 " bit 4 inches deep in the planting pot 

I grew it in the same sized 20 litre tub as I grow my tomatoes in , filled with the same home made composted growth medium .  Then fed & watered it with the same feed as the toms but at seven day intervals in between watering instead as it apparently likes a slightly  moist soil instead .

This afternoon ( 7 Nov  :o ) whilst clearing out all the unripe toms in the glass house I also harvested the Ginger .
 In the tub were four foot tall bamboo looking canes about 1/2 " thick with similar but dark green leaves.   The knobble of starter had grown to about 10 inches long by 2 " thick and was  just over a pound in weight .

This is one exercise I'll be repeating for many years to come for the Chinese stir fry chicken we had tonight was outstanding .

We used our " Fresh " ginger very thickly sliced & chipped  in the stir fry veg  and also separately as a teaspoon of it grated up & cooked in the lemon chicken with bamboo shoots  & water chestnuts.

The remainder is sitting washed clean & trimmed of roots in the fridge @ 3 oC wrapped in cling film ...... I bet it'll last much longer than shop purchased ginger .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:22:29 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Ginger.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:30:35 pm »
I just found out that ginger is surprisingly hardy, and it is on my list to grow when I have room :)
Often the big supermarkets treat or rub off any growing sprouts, so you were lucky!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:48 pm »
Well done  :garden:  It shows it's worth ignoring what 'they' say and giving it a go.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:39:12 am »
I tried growing it late one year and lost the pant to a single nights heavy frost that penetrated the conservatory window it was right next to. There was a small heater in that room too but a freak -15C and a lot of stuff near the glass died.

I may try again following your recipe. Now if you can get it to flowering size they are pretty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS