Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to ducks  (Read 2151 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
New to ducks
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:01:00 am »
SO at the weekend I picked up a couple or Muscovy ducks. I have given them food and water and a place to swim. I have also got them a dog kennel to be used as an ark but they have not gone anywhere near it. They sleep next to the garden pond I have for them.

When I had chickens I picked them up and moved them to the coop at night so they knew where to go.

These ducks are much harder to catch. They came from a large flock and are now just by themselves so they are super nervous.

Should I still try and heard them into the"ark" at night?

They are protected from predators even by the pond.

Thanks
 :&>

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: New to ducks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:46:56 am »
if they are safe from predators then why worry. None of my ducks choose to sleep inside.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:49:16 am »
you may have to pick them up a few night on the bounce the y will soon get the idea
but muscovys do like to just hang around and sit where they want
when your drake is the size of a medium dog it can be difficult

the females fly well
i had one out in the street yesterday and when i went to catch it it flew around the estate and landed on my roof

it soon came down for food
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »
most of my muscovies go to bed in their shed-so they can be trained. I have two females who roost high in my stables.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:27:08 pm »
I use 'duck hurdles'  ... ie anything to direct them in the right direction and then herd them in. .
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:58:52 pm »
re the nervous bit-they are smart ducks, they will get used to you but I'd not handle them too much. Peas are a big treat for them as is lettuce. As for herding, they're easier than geese to herd but block off anywhere you dont want them to go until they're use to their new home. They never go to bed as early as the chickens though.

I just saw they are safe from predators-I'd leave them in that case. they are very curious, they will check out the kennel and lay in there (if you are lucky ;) )

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 03:26:33 pm »
[member=24953]lord flynn[/member] I gave them peas after their first night and were not interested at all.

I will give them some time to get used to their new life.
I think they are very aware that they have gone from a large flock to just two by themselves and I have seen them be curious and explore their area

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 07:47:22 pm »
Ducks are much easier to herd than chickens! You just can't herd chickens... just wait untill they go to sleep in the evening.
What I do to my duck is feed them a little bit every evening inside their enclosure. Now when they see me coming they go in themselves and I just lock the door.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:28 pm »
When we first got ours (Campbells) they were the same but after a few nights of herding them into the house they got the idea and ever since they take themselves off to bed when they are ready. Ducks can see quite well at night so will stay up beyond dusk. Since the run is enclosed we haven't even got a door on the house itself anymore.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 10:35:44 am »
Yes I agree ducks are much easier to herd in. They are also very easy catch for foxes so I would always shut them in at night unless they are on an island on the pond. Ducks won't tend to put themselves to bed at night, but they do get into a routine and once established you will only need to go out there at the right time and they'll know it's time for bed. I love my ducks... they do make a mess though- mine are in the garden so throughout the winter they are fenced off from our grass and keep themselves busy up on a large bank that surrounds the grass.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 02:04:30 pm »
At the moment mine have an enclosure made from a metal polytunnel frame that is covered with wire for security. it links to my greenhouse that has a pond that pumps the water around some grow beds.

The plan is that the growbeds remove the waste from the ducks and cleans the water at the same time as feeding the plants.

My concern at the moment is that it is quite humid in the greenhouse and  they are sleeping in their instead of their duck house.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS