Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Haylage, a quick question.  (Read 2251 times)

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
Haylage, a quick question.
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:06:53 pm »
We made haylage this year but have never fed it to the cattle before. Is it ok just to put a bale in the feeder for them or should it be introduced slowly? They have been fed hay and straw in the past.Thanks.
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Haylage, a quick question.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 07:10:06 am »
I think it would have the same affect as them going out onto new grass after being only fed hay or straw.

Susannah

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Pencaitland
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:18:48 am »
Thanks Sabrina. They are on grass all year, it was just extra feed over the winter where previously they had hay and straw. A friend said I had to start feeding it to them gradually but it would be a lot easier for me to give them the whole bale at once!
Jacob sheep, Shetland cows, Pygmy goats, Chinese geese, Khaki Campbell ducks.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:45:00 pm »
 It's fine to give them the whole bale at once. It is completely interchangeable and substituteable with hay and straw as it is the same type of feed. You only need to introduce a new feed gradually if it is  something completely different and the animal therefore takes a while to develop the different bacteria necessary for digestion. Therefore if you were adding say roots, or cereals then you would need to start feeding with small amounts until the animal ha adapted to it.
 It is unlikely to have the same effect as young spring grass because it is normally made from a more mature crop, and it has been dried. So it has lower energy and more fibre and does not usually cause "the runs". 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS