Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing for breeding  (Read 1342 times)

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Preparing for breeding
« on: November 04, 2016, 09:58:35 pm »
My two GG cross girls have become beautiful ladies and will soon go to meet a pure GG boy. What do I need to do to ensure a successful mating and conception? I cut back on extra food (Alfalfa) in August (but kept all hay and pasture available) -although they have always had 3/4  of a 1ltr jug of concentrate between them and I give them a few chopped carrots, a small handful of sunflower seeds and even smaller of beet nuts in the afternoon. They have himalyan salt and a copper lick and am wondering if I should get the yellow zinc rockie? What about Caprivite? Or would I give that later? So many decisions. But the most important I think is do I increase their concentrate and if so how much. Thank you for any insights  ???
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Preparing for breeding
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 01:34:57 pm »
If they are in god condition now I would not increase their rations until the last 8-10weeks before kidding and then do it gradually with as wide a range of feeds you can get your hands on - if they do get picky you have a higher chance of having something they still like... You may find that you will need to increase the frequency of feeds (as in three to four smaller meals a day rather than two big ones) to allow for growing kids/reducing rumen space.

Until then maintenance ration, plus carrots/cabbages/apples/bananas etc as you are doing just now. Loads of hay - my goatlings are on just a handful of soaked shreds with a dusting of oats, plus carrots.

I have only got a Red Rockie, and that has been fine for the last 9 years or so but I do give them periodically a mineral/vitamin drench (a sheep one with added copper), maybe twice a year. They are due one about now.

My goats will not touch Caprivite... but every so often I will add some garlic granules to their feed.

Try not to stress them in early pregnancy in particular, and if they do need worming or so I would do it before mating. Watch for lice after mating with a male from a different holding.

Get your kidding stuff ready, and have Propylene glycol - something like Twin lamb drench (I prefer Cetophyton, available from the vet) and a good drenching syringe 50ml like this one -

http://www.fearing.co.uk/cattle/cattle-health/syringes/re-useable-syringe

ready.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
Re: Preparing for breeding
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 05:35:29 pm »
Thank you Anke for your reply and info. My girls are in very good condition and have tested negative for worms and fluke, which I'm delighted about. Ok so basically carry on with the current regime until about two months prior to kidding. Is that when I'd reintroduce the alfalfa? I hope that bringing them home from the male in a trailer wouldn't be detrimental to the pregnancy? Thanks for the link to the syringe - we have a very similar one we use to drench the sheep.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS