Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A survivor's guide to the B+E trailer test!  (Read 9616 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
A survivor's guide to the B+E trailer test!
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:44:54 pm »
OK, so maybe you know that anybody who passed their test after 1997 needs to pass an additional trailer competency test if they want to tow a trailer over 750kg, or if the "MAM", or Maximum Authorised Mass of the car plus trailer exceeds 3500 kg.

In my case, this caused a big problem, since our Landy has a MAM of 2500kg, which left only 1000 kg of allowance left for both the trailer and its load. In other words, if I want to collect a builder's bag of sand for instance, unless I can find a super light trailer made of carbon fibre or similar, I'd need a B+E upgrade to my 1998 passed car license, to comply with the law (boo, hiss!). The rules are complicated though, and get even worse if you passed your car test after 2013. Full details can be found here.

So, assuming you're reading this because you want to get your B+E license, here's my idiot's guide, from having just been through the process: (Beware - long, rambling post. If you can't be bothered, just skip down to the conclusion! ;D  )

• The test will be held at your local commercial vehicle test centre, and is basically the same as a lorry test. It includes about an hour's driving, which includes ten minutes of independent navigation, i.e. "please follow the signs to Timbuktu", a reversing exercise, and un-coupling / re-coupling the trailer.
  • The trailer you use for the test has to be solid sided and about the same width and height as the car (so you can't see over it or through it), must have at least 1000kg MAM, and must be carrying a load of at least 600kg.
  • During the test, you're allowed no more than 15 minor faults. Three or more minor faults within the same category (three minors for lack of mirror checks for example) also results in a test failure, as does a single serious or dangerous fault. That's basically the same as the standard car driving test, but because you're on the road for an hour, the overall standard required to count as a pass ends up being significantly higher.
  • The reversing exercise is fairly straightforward, if somewhat contrived. You have to pull forward up to some cones, then reverse in an S-shape back into a bay to the rear and parallel to where you started. This diagram shows it well:

The idea is to end up with the back of the trailer overhanging a 1 foot wide stripe on the road. You're allowed two 'shunts' forward during the exercise, and I'll be honest, I used one - I still don't quite know what happened, but I was suddenly aware that I was going too far over towards the bottom of the diagram, so decided to shunt forwards and straighten up again, just to play safe really.

You're also allowed to get out of the car and look once, to check your position. In fact, it's advised that you do this at the end, to satisfy yourself that you are indeed over the yellow strip, as it would be daft not to check, and then to fail on something so simple!

The key thing I struggled with here was that although I thought I already knew how to reverse a trailer, I had always done it by looking either out of the driver's window, or through the rear window of the car. Of course when I started practicing for the test, suddenly I couldn't do that, and had to use my mirrors instead - thus instantly resetting myself to rank beginner status, as all the movements were reversed (doh!). So, my top tip for this bit is before you go for lessons, practice reversing a trailer using only the wing mirrors on the car. Remember if you see 'too much' trailer on the right, or want to avoid an obstacle on the right, you need to turn the steering wheel to the right. Vice-versa if the obstacle is on the left. Practice doing this (little movements only) until you can confidently reverse the trailer in both a straight line, and round in circles in both directions using only the wing mirrors. That means that when you get to the test, it will be natural, and you won't fluff up (as I so nearly did) by over-thinking things!

• For coupling up exercise, you are allowed to reverse back nearly to the trailer, and then manually heave the trailer forwards and onto the car towball. Being allowed to do this makes the whole thing far, far simpler, and thankfully requires much less precision than trying to do it exactly!
  • When coupled, you must wind the hitch back up a little, to make sure the car starts to rise too (thus confirming the hitch is locked on properly). Not doing this is a fail.
  • For the driving, practice for a while beforehand, only using your wing mirrors, and remember they have to always be checked in pairs. So for instance, to turn right, check left mirror, check right mirror, signal, mirror again, maneuver. I found I was very guilty of checking my mirror *as* I signalled, and was very lucky to have an examiner who didn't fail me for that.
  • When approaching roundabouts etc, I initially went way too fast, so my instructor had me practicing reducing speed right down far earlier, selecting a gear only when I knew if I could go or not, and then taking it from there. If you're like me, and have 15 years of bad habits, practice to get rid of them before you even think about doing the test!

So in the end I passed first time, with 'just' four minor faults. One of these was apparently for getting too close to a parked car that in hindsight I don't think I'd even noticed. Oops!  :innocent:

A day and a half's tuition culminating in the test cost me £435 with Hunter Driving School in Falkirk, and was frankly very, very hard. However, with the right instruction and practice, it evidently is possible to pass first time (thank God, and I am never driving in Livingston or Bathgate EVER AGAIN!!). Just practice a lot beforehand, don't take anything for granted, and you'll be fine.

I hope that's helpful!

Womble.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:47:23 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: A survivor's guide to the B+E trailer test!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 06:58:44 pm »
It is tricky, isn't it?
Towing a trailer behind you is the simple bit. The hard bit is driving to test standard (no bad habits!) for the full time, and those exercises under pressure.
I'd recommend practising around the test routes/areas to get to know the road layout. Half of my errors started from being in the wrong lane  ::)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:18 pm »
Yes, in hindsight you're right YorkshireLass. I'd never actually driven in Livingston until this morning, and it would have been incredibly helpful to have known where the hell I was, and what was coming up next!  :o The whole place is Roundabout City - rather like the Scottish equivalent of Milton Keynes!  :roflanim:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:45:57 pm »
Well done you  :thumbsup:

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 08:03:47 pm »
How many wheels has the trailer you used? I have the small 4'x8' Ifer Williams two wheeler. Although I am relatively new to pulling trailers I'm convinced the laws of physics make the manoeuvre pictured virtually impossible with it. Even trying to go straight back I think my personal best is 6 'shunts' at least to get to (approximately) the desired location. When there are onlookers they tend to shout "hard left - no hard left!" or "hard right!" repeatedly which has little effect. The road leading to the abattoir I use often has a line of parked cars and my biggest fear is meeting an on-coming vehicle and being expected to reverse. Is a four wheeler any easier?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:14:22 pm »
Yes [member=127142]PK[/member] a double axle is much easier than a single axle to reverse. It is much more stable, a single axle tends to oversteer. I reckon I could do the manoeuvres well enough with my double axle Ifor Williams, but would be a challenge with the small one. The only real advantage of the singles is they are much easier to hitch on if you can't be bothered to reverse up to them.

Fortunately I passed my test well before 1997 and was amused to realise reading this post it is no longer only kids that have to pass the test there are some more mature types having to do it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 08:35:36 pm »
Hi PK, The trailer I borrowed for the test was an 8'x4' four wheeler, which worked very well. However, I've spent all week practicing with my single axle 7'x4' unbraked trailer, and whilst it's harder to keep in a straight line, it can be done. The thing to realise is that the difference between a 'nice turn' and 'oh **** I've jacknifed it' is much smaller with a small single axle trailer. The key is to use really small turns of the wheel when backing up, until you have a good feel for where the point of no return is. I suspect the reason people are shouting 'hard left!' at you is to try to correct over-steering, but once you're beyond that certain point, I'm afraid there's no way out of it except to drive forwards to straighten up, and then start again.

BTW PK, what do you mean 'more mature types'? Of all TAS members, I surely resemble that remark the least!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:37:28 pm by Womble »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 09:02:13 pm »
How many wheels has the trailer you used? I have the small 4'x8' Ifer Williams two wheeler. Although I am relatively new to pulling trailers I'm convinced the laws of physics make the manoeuvre pictured virtually impossible with it. Even trying to go straight back I think my personal best is 6 'shunts' at least to get to (approximately) the desired location. When there are onlookers they tend to shout "hard left - no hard left!" or "hard right!" repeatedly which has little effect. The road leading to the abattoir I use often has a line of parked cars and my biggest fear is meeting an on-coming vehicle and being expected to reverse. Is a four wheeler any easier?

The bigger the trailer, the slower it seems to handle and the easier it is. Something to do with the distance between the towbar and the axle? A very small trailer goes from "can't really see" to "CRUNCH" in about 3 milliseconds. A big trailer, you can see it and correct it.
I hate onlookers - because I'm watching mirrors and everything is in reverse (or reversed twice), shouting left or right doesn't help. Do they mean send the trailer left? or turn the wheel left?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:42 pm »
Well done you! [member=2128]Womble[/member] I have seen a lot of farmers reverse looking out their doors, seems easier that way, but sadly, although fun to watch, not the proper way ::) personally it looks like the best option to me! ;)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 05:41:55 am »
Well done you! [member=2128]Womble[/member] I have seen a lot of farmers reverse looking out their doors, seems easier that way, but sadly, although fun to watch, not the proper way ::) personally it looks like the best option to me! ;)

Only works for the right hand side, for one thing. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:31 am »
Well done, Womble, for passing your trailer test - and first time too.   :thumbsup:

And thanks for writing it up - very useful. 

:bookmark: trailer test.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 05:48:41 am »
I hate onlookers - because I'm watching mirrors and everything is in reverse (or reversed twice), shouting left or right doesn't help. Do they mean send the trailer left? or turn the wheel left?

BH-as-was and I had directing worked out.  I'd stand where I could see the appropriate wing mirror, so I'd know that he could see me, and I'd signal with my thumbs pointing in the direction the trailer needed to go. 

I totally agree that shouting 'left, left!', or doing swirly gestures is wholly useless, unhelpful and irritating.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 07:14:08 am »
Or you could go with the strategy adopted by the abbatoir on my latest trip: "Keep coming!, come on, keep coming!, that's it, keep coming.... BANG!!!......... er, that's far enough now!"  :o

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 08:21:17 am »
Oh [member=2128]Womble[/member] it was very unladylike of me to refer to another AS's maturity I apologise wholeheartedly I am just agog with admiration at the clarity of your post.  I'm so glad I don't have to do it and can continue to reverse my trailer wherever I wish with no training whatsoever

When we first took our single axle trailer to the abbatior I constructed a mock up of the door we needed to back up to out of buckets and stuff and practiced the manoeuvre for two days. At the abbatior OH stands where I want to get the back right corner of the trailer and I aim not to run over his foot. So far I haven't and the trailer ends up exactly right. Always nice to do when there a couple of young men watching. I now need to get my double axle trailer through a shed door with about 30cm total clearance and I think what I have learnt from that is it is easier to have a precise target to aim for than a vague one.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:23:34 am by pharnorth »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 09:04:44 am »
I don't needto pass the test (hard though that is to believe) but I really need to get some instruction on reversing (and not from Dan).

Well done [member=2128]Womble[/member] on your first time pass. :trophy:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS