Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Legalities for Setting Up Market Garden  (Read 1491 times)

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Legalities for Setting Up Market Garden
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:41:39 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew much about the legalities in setting up a Market Garden?

I'm starting off very small...simply my back garden to start with. My intention is to grow as much produce as possible to sell at farm gate and then, if production allows, move onto Farmer Markets. I want to grow microgreens around the year too. This year has been successful for feeding me and the family, so will ramp things up next year.

Now, from what I understand I have to price individually or, for more than one, using metric weights i.e. price per kg etc. It also seems that I need to take out insurance with at least £5m in public protection liability.

Does anyone know about other requirements? I was reading about food businesses needing to make records of food safety and follow Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point principles. But nowhere could I actually find WHAT these are and HOW to record them.

I've contacted my local council as I'm already registered as a food business for selling eggs, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime....you lot often have words of wisdom.  :thumbsup:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Legalities for Setting Up Market Garden
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:52:25 pm »
See if you can get hold of any freebies from the local environment health guys wrt control of hazardous substances ( CoSH ) with respect to crops for human consumption .

You may need to keep a very detailed register of where you get things , batch numbers strength of applications , how many applications and withdrawal periods before sale etc .

You might only be able to sell crops raised from certified & registered seed suppliers these days  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS