Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home slaughter  (Read 2538 times)

orkney danny

• Joined Oct 2016
home slaughter
« on: November 02, 2016, 12:42:33 pm »
i had 2 pigs last year which i home slaughtered and butchered, however de bristling them was a long and tedious process involving a lot of hot water and a scraper, how does everyone else do theirs? has anyone skinned a pig? or found a better way of de bristling one?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: home slaughter
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 02:03:43 pm »
blow torch?

orkney danny

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »
doesn't work, it tends to leave reallt hard stubble

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 02:43:31 pm »
steam cleaner and scraper? just an idea that came to me
at least it's continuous

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 05:28:40 pm »
ever read "Butchering, Processing and Preservation of Meat" by Frank G Ashbrook? He basically recommends using a large boiler, around 25-30 gallons water to scald the pig in, apparently you can add lime, wood ash and rosin to the water to help the scraping work better. So, preferably two people, 50 gallon barreltilted to around a 40-45 degree angle, 25-30 gallons water at around 140-144 degrees F (60-63 degrees C), being prepared to add more hot water to keep the temperature up, continually move the pig around to get the water to seep into the wrinkles in the skin. Temperature of water apparently is critical
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

congerchamp

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:44:36 pm »
I've done a few kune kune in the past which were long haired so I skinned them. They were quite fat so by skinning managed to remove some fat the same time.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »
ever read "Butchering, Processing and Preservation of Meat" by Frank G Ashbrook? He basically recommends using a large boiler, around 25-30 gallons water to scald the pig in, apparently you can add lime, wood ash and rosin to the water to help the scraping work better. So, preferably two people, 50 gallon barreltilted to around a 40-45 degree angle, 25-30 gallons water at around 140-144 degrees F (60-63 degrees C), being prepared to add more hot water to keep the temperature up, continually move the pig around to get the water to seep into the wrinkles in the skin. Temperature of water apparently is critical

similar to scalding chickens then! just on a massive scale

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:40:29 am »
[member=165370]orkney danny[/member]   A little off topic sorry.
I haven't got to having larger livestock yet but I am curious when you home slaughter what do you do with the bits you cant use. I saw in another thread you did lambs as well and I read on the net you have to send certain parts to special sites to be gotten rid of.

Its the bureaucracy and confusing rules that makes me worry about home slaughter. Just hoping for some insight.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:28:04 am »
You can bag up the required bits securely (and all the other waste - bones, guts etc that are not specified risk material but bits you aren't going to use) and the knackers will collect them and dispose of them correctly for you.
It was the first question I asked before I ever considered doing a home slaughter.

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 11:37:57 am »
Look at "Nicks on-site killing service" on youtu - Homekill pig slaughter.
He 'kicks' the pig clean in a few minutes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS