Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2249 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
What would you do?
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:17:28 am »
2 years ago, a 2 year old pygmy goat gave birth to 1 kid but needed to have a c-section to deliver its twin.

The goat hasn't been in kid since. Would you put to billie or not?

Cheers in advance  :thumbsup:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
Had one have c section last year.
I asked vet on her thoughts, she said some people do breed them again.
But she would not, was gutted came from one of best herds.
Like you undecided  i wont this year and am erring on not to risk it side

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:21:09 pm »
I have a Pygmy who needed a c section the first time, second time had natural birth, third time needed assistance as a dead kid but it did come out the back not side.
She hasn't got in kid this year and I really don't mind as I worry more about her than the others..

If you do breed from her I think you need to be prepared for the need for c section but it's perfectly possible she won't need one. As long as you are aware you can watch her like a hawk so can intervene before she gets overly distressed. It does add to the stress levels at kidding time though  :-\

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:36:25 pm »
No wouldn't do it.  Stress to you and her and if something goes wrong you'd never forgive yourself.  Really not worth it. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:04:47 am »
No I wouldn't. Because when complicated stuff does happen and you have to deal with it it's hard enough. But reassuring to know it is just luck and you do your best to minimise pain, discomfort and unnecessary cost in that order. But having a predictable difficult birth would make me feel guilty as it is avoidable. There are plenty of fit healthy goats out there.  Of course risk is rarely black and white, it is more a case of maybe, possible, likely, or highly likely. It's the latter two I'd sidestep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 11:18:40 am »
Having had difficult births with ewes, and the vet saying it should be fine to breed them again - no it wasn't. I now cull any ewe that has a difficult birth 1st time. Just not worth giving them a 2nd chance. Sorry sounds harsh I know.

My goats have so far not been difficult... only ever minor re-arrangements.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »
Cheers folks    :thumbsup:

pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »
Having had difficult births with ewes, and the vet saying it should be fine to breed them again - no it wasn't. I now cull any ewe that has a difficult birth 1st time. Just not worth giving them a 2nd chance. Sorry sounds harsh I know.

My goats have so far not been difficult... only ever minor re-arrangements.

Your goats have heard what happens to the sheep... they wouldn't dare be difficult!

Oh it will happen sometime... and the same principle will apply.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS