Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fattening geese  (Read 7405 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Fattening geese
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:45:09 pm »
We are fattening a dozen geese for Christmas. Last year they were a bit on the small side despite giving them turkey finisher pellets twice a day once the clocks had gone back. This year I have been advised to give them two thirds whole wheat and a third turkey finishers, but I don't know how much to give them.

What works for other people?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Fattening geese
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:35:48 am »
My ducks are on 50:50 whole wheat and cut maize, ad lib. Can imagine it's much the same for geese. Allen and Page do a goose and duck grower/finisher which is good but our ducks finished on that last year and needed a bit more fat covering hence trying straight grains this year. Restrict their grazing space if you can, or they will just eat grass which at this time of year is starting to lack in goodness. My ducks are restricted to a patch in our garden now.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:30:10 pm »
Thanks Twizzel,

Restricting their grazing is a good idea. I might also give them more food in the morning so that they don't want to to eat the grass.

I don't suppose there is any chance of them over-eating and becoming too fat, is there? (Thinking of last year's pigs!)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:44:57 pm »
All they need is 2-3 weeks with limited grazing and more food than normal. I give them mixed corn and rolled oats.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 12:06:06 am »
Mine loved bruised barley last year.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:16:58 am »
Morning Creagan,

Did you feed ad-lib, or did you give a set amount per goose?

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 03:50:34 pm »
Morning Creagan,

Did you feed ad-lib, or did you give a set amount per goose?

Ad lib, it was getting rather close to Christmas :D

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 10:47:27 pm »
If giving them whole wheat I cover in boiling water the night before. Previously I'd seen wheat grains in their droppings. Same with hens. Just softens the casing a bit.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 06:17:16 pm »
Very helpful comments - thank you all. I will increase the morning feed so that they can feed as much as possible during the day. Will look out for whole grain in their droppings. Haven't seen any so far, but they are quite keen on eating coarse sand so maybe that helps to grind down the husk.

We weighed one of the medium sized ones at  the weekend and he was 5.5 kgs, so growing nicely. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS