Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to expect from 80kg liveweight  (Read 2819 times)

Dave Taylor

• Joined Oct 2015
What to expect from 80kg liveweight
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:40 am »
Hi all,

I appreciate all pigs vary hugely when sent for meat. However i'm trying to price up as best I can before we butcher on this wednesday coming. We are butchering with the help of a proffessional, so will do what he says however we'd like to get an idea of what people expect to get from pigs at about 80-90kg.

We are planning on selling all the joints, so these won't be getting sausaged. Can anyone shed any light on roughly how many/weight of their joints, sausage, steaks etc they have got back from their pigs around this size?

It's a very open question i know, but worth a go!

Thanks
Dave

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: What to expect from 80kg liveweight
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:44:34 am »
From http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/pigs/pig-costs/

The killing out percentage for pigs is around 74%, so a 100kg liveweight pig will yield a carcase of about 74kg. Remember, this includes the head, trotters, surplus fat, bones, skin – everything apart from the blood and guts – so the saleable yield is less than that. The percentage of usable meat is about 64% of liveweight, with prime cuts being about 48% of live weight, or 48kg for our fictional pig.....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:02:12 am »
Are you planning to sell by the half or just the bits people want?

You need to have a clear idea before you butcher and I suggest you chat to them this week.

Impossible to put weights on anything as pigs will vary in the amount of waste depending on the finish quality but I would expect with a 100 kilo live weight pig to get roughly 4 - 6 shoulder joints boned and rolled. The same for leg joints.
Are you doing chops or loin joints? Or different for each side? What are you planning for bellies?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:12 am »
personally from vast experience you are better selling a mixed box or a min spend £25.  Going down individual cuts is an utter nightmare.  Youll always get plenty of people happy to pop over for one pack of sausages.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 09:11:50 pm »
I agree with Farmers Wife, do a £50 pork box with a couple of roasting joints some sausages and a few loin steaks ????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS