Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe on her back again  (Read 2204 times)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Ewe on her back again
« on: October 27, 2016, 10:52:21 pm »
I have a Dorset Down ewe who is often found on her back,(my neighbors have got expert in flipping her over). I have seem her sit on her bottom, rub about a bit then gently roll backwards on to her back ....... hilarious to watch but one day she will not be found in time.
She is not overweight and even did it just after she was sheared.
I keep her bum clean, she has somewhere to rub, has no scab, lice or anything, any ideas re stopping her doing it !

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: Ewe on her back again
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 11:19:07 am »
Have you tried dosing her with Dectomax and crovect to eliminate any itch that she may have?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 12:18:56 pm »
Sell her before she kills her self  :(

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 02:58:36 pm »
So the question is, why is she so itchy?  Infection, worms, scab, lice....?  I agree with shep53, she's bloat or crows pecking out her eyes waiting to happen and it could be much worse if she's pregnant and could lose the lambs too.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:09:40 pm »
Thanks,
I will try Crovect etc also maybe some fly repellent as we are having midge problems at the moment but the ram goes in tomorrow so I don't want to put him off. They are checked twice a day so hopefully ??

But I don't think she's that itchy it's just something she's learnt to do, bless ! It's happened maybe 6 times this year.

She's the scattest of my few (but a very good mum) and I don't wish to keep any of her offspring for breeding, so maybe I should really just cull her.

GrannyAching

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Pembrokeshire
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 07:12:28 pm »
I don't think I'd want to crovect her just before tupping. I had a look on the data sheet but there's nothing specific, I'm sure you know, it's a system poison and my understanding is that it is likely to interrupt the cycle - making it start again.

I think like [member=27063]Marches Farmer[/member] says maybe you need to decide what the problem is first if you can.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 07:15:49 pm »
Cypermethrin is a Neurotoxin , which kills insects by ingestion ,very toxic to fish and cats, it is not absorbed through the skin so in sheep it moves via the lanolin in the wool .   Every study iv'e read says it has no effects on reproduction

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS