Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 15 month old bitch pushing all boundaries  (Read 4241 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
15 month old bitch pushing all boundaries
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
As the title suggests ...  We have a 16 month old bitch, she is a Rottie x English Bullmastiff. We rehomed her last November aged 5 months from a young lady with a 4 year old child living in a 2 up, 2 down on a modern housing estate. Her idea of exercise was to take Nelly over the road to the playing field for the estate and let her run around, greeting everyone as, in her words, "she's veers friendly just wants to say hello to everyone".

Anyway, we have worked hard on walking nicely on the lead and general manners which have been going well, we live on a 52 acre farm so we go for a walk (off lead) each morning after breakfast around the farm to check the animals etc. and then she and our other little dog, Poppy (3 year old pug x yorkie) wander about with hubby or I doing whatever needs doing, If I come indoors they both come in and until the last few weeks she chills out and sleeps. 

My question is that she seems mischief bent at the moment, full of bounce which she takes out on poor Poppy or round the room or heaven forbid if someone comes round, she was quite good until then. Is it her age? I'm used to labs so she is a bit of an unknown quantity, also we know nothing of her puppyhood, breeding etc. Or could it be her food, She is on Skinners Rough & Ready at the moment but not usually but here in Cumbria dog food seems really hard to buy, the feed merchants never seem to have the same stuff two months running. I am totally open for advice on a better food for her, she is not fussy and her two meals a day are supplemented by anything and everything that she eats round the farm yard  :yuck:  which I suspect includes kitten poo, chicken poo, pony poo, sheep poo etc.

She also has started to mouth my arm if I am around her, so I have started yelping like she hurts me and withdrawing 'injured'. Again is this her age and possibly a dominance thing, she does acknowledge that I am top dog and has never challenged it she is so loving and friendly she just wants to be with us.

Sorry to go on and on but I would like to stop all this behaviour before it becomes established.
Thanks
Louise, Nelly and Poppy
So many ideas, not enough hours

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: 15 month old bitch pushing all boundaries
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 09:50:43 am »
It's called the two year old syndrome (in human terms teenage tantrums) Whilst keeping up discipline, give her a bit of slack and be patient, it will pass!!
Be sure to feed her kibble that has no colouring in (we all know what smarties and orange squash did to toddlers!!!!)
She'll come right, don't worry.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:27 am »
Completely agree, just keep on top of the nipping - that could escalate.  I use the word NO, as well as the 'you hurt me' squeal and look.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:54:40 pm »
It could be the food - I don't know that one, but just read the blurb and it says good for putting on weight which to me says that its got a lot in it.    If you struggle buying low energy food - try buying on line.  I'm a bit out of the loop on which kibbles are best - I've fed raw for many years.  I feed Natural Instinct raw - delivered frozen to the door.  I foster dogs and they always improve both physically and behaviourally once on raw, but I do understand it doesn't suit every persons lifestyle.

Do you have an "in your bed" command - might come in useful?  Or a crate where she could have time out?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:59 pm »
Have a look at Millies Wolfheart- buy online direct from manufacturer but their delivery service and customer service is top notch. Highly digestable and grain free, give the customer helpline a ring and they will suggest a mix to suit activity/breed/age :)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 11:12:24 am »
Thank you all for your replies, I shall have to look into buying their feed online as the feed merchants didn't seem to have very much at all yesterday.

She has a crate and is more than happy to go in it when you say or even walk in the general direction. She settles well in it and is more than happy to have several hours sleep in it during the day so I have been using that after our morning walk just to give us all a break from each other.

She is a beautiful girl, and just wants to be with you and be loved, she is just not aware of her own size and strength.
So many ideas, not enough hours

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 11:42:41 am »
I have just looked up the SKinners food, and it definitely won't be helping! This is a great site for sounding out foods: http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0303/skinners-ruff-and-ready

1.8 out of five is pretty dire.  This is a list of the top-rated 5/5 foods (hopefully! If not, it is say to filter by rating), and they are not necessarily very expensive. I feed Akela which is classed as a working food so VAT free:  http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 01:43:20 pm »
She also has started to mouth my arm if I am around her, so I have started yelping like she hurts me and withdrawing 'injured'. Again is this her age and possibly a dominance thing, she does acknowledge that I am top dog and has never challenged it she is so loving and friendly she just wants to be with us.

If it is dominance and you act injured and hurt surely that is just reinforcing to her that she has got the desired effect. If she was accepting you as top dog she wouldn't be display the behaviour. She has found a weakness and she is exploiting it.

I would take her firmly by the scruff, tell her off and put her in her crate.

She looks lovely in the piccie!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 04:03:44 pm »
My Flat coat would frequently  mouth my wrist as a young dog, even now occasionally as an old boy, when he is very excited.

Flat coats tend to mouth a lot. I think it depends how the dog is doing it as to whether or not it is a problem or could become an issue.

I think some dogs of that age can be a handful. Full of bounce and silliness. It is probably a good time to start some more serious obedience training in short sessions. Good for reinforcing the fact that you are in charge and instilling some respect. Important , especially with big, strong dogs, even if they are totally friendly.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 06:14:02 pm »
She is going though the teenage stage. One thing you can do is when friends come to the house tell them in advance not to speak to her and if she goes to jump up turn away. The biting needs very firm handling. Saying no in a very strong voice so she knows you are not happy with her. I always have my happy voice with my dogs and a strong voice when I am far from pleased with them. Believe they know the difference. Food can cause all sorts of problems so this is worth looking into too.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 08:16:57 pm »
Another vote for the "terrible twos".

I would stick with calm, firm boundaries and carry on as normal. Remove her from the situation if she gets too much. Don't suddenly go for harsh punishment and make her afraid of you.

She'll come through!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 05:13:26 pm »
Is she spayed? 

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 06:39:10 pm »
I have nothing to add other than.....I think this is happening to me too so I'm glad to read I'm not alone. I rescued Bo about 9 months ago, but lately she's been getting rather loopy, pushing boundaries and generally being a bit of a pain despite a lot of training. Seems, as others have suggested, it might also be the terrible twos!

I love her but gosh, she's hard work around other people and anything other than what she knows.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 02:14:32 pm »
That food has sky high carbs.  Switch to Millies Wolfheart Hunter mix which has half the amount of carbs, and I bet my bottom dollar you will see a vast improvement very quickly.  Had similar with my sheepdog at that age, that was on Autarky or JamesWellbeloved.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS