Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I thought Pigs Were Supposed to be Clean???!!!  (Read 2504 times)

Tommytuxedo

• Joined Oct 2016
I thought Pigs Were Supposed to be Clean???!!!
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:31 pm »
Hi

I have 7 Tamworth pigs; 6 male and 1 female.
Having read a lot about pig keeping before getting them we have done everything by the book and the pigs were coming a long nicely and keeping themselves really tidy.  They are still coming along nicely but have become a bit untidy with their toiling habits.
They are kept in an old cattle building that has a channel across the middle for the run off into the drain.  At first they were toileting on the other side of this channel with their bedding and food and water on the opposite side.  We used shavings as we were advised by Tamworth breeders association that this is better for their feet than straw. 
There is lots of light and they are cleaned out everyday, fed twice a day and have things to play with.
All of a sudden they have started doing it everywhere and whatever we do, i.e, thorough clean down and complete new bedding they just keep doing it.  We have left stools in the toilet area to encourage them each time we have cleaned but no still insist on pooping right next to food and bedding.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Angela in Manchester.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: I thought Pigs Were Supposed to be Clean???!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:53:40 pm »
Maybe their sleeping area is too big? If weaners are kept in an ark this can happen when they are small. reducing their sleeping area by putting some hay bales across until they get a bit bigger might help.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:17:38 am by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:42:49 am »
I am afraid that some pigs just aren't as clean as others but Bionic's suggestion might help.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 12:41:34 pm »
We have one massive ark, and when the population of that pen dropped they started messing inside the door

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:24:54 pm »
Most of our sties can sleep 15 weaners or more but we tie in metal hurdles so that they have only just enough room to fit in, and move the hurdles as they grow.

Tommytuxedo

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »
Hi Everyone and thank you for your replies.

My pigs are 6 - 7 months old now if that makes any difference to what the reasons may be. 

I was worrying that they didn't have enough room to be clean, but their living area is about 12 x 9 foot.

We have tried everything.

As you say some aren't as clean as others; just worrying we were doing something wrong.

Cheers
Angela

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »
So you have 7 pigs, 6-7 months old, all in an area 12 ft by 9ft? Is that right? If so then there is way too little room IMO so no wonder you have some soiling issues.

As an example we had 4 pigs in an area covering 18m x 20m, incl an ark 8 ft by 8ft. After 3 months the ark was as clean and fresh smelling as the day they arrived.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS