Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Late seasons  (Read 4823 times)

Arabus

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Hampshire
Late seasons
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:54:49 am »
Hi, Has anyone else noticed their goats are very late coming into season this year? I've seen a couple of small signs from a few of the girls, which have not lasted long at all, and none of the usual wagging and wailing...

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Late seasons
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:56:42 am »
Same here. It's very frustrating as I wanted the girls covered early so I wouldn't be lambing and kidding at the same time  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:14:04 pm »
So pleased to hear that. Our first year, having bought does already in kid last year. The buck seemed full on for a while when he first went in but the does were largely uninterested after 5 weeks I still can't be sure if the deed is done or not. We were away twice for a week so may well have got on with it, but the helpers didn't see anything. It's going to be a long wait.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:38 pm »
Yes sometimes they come in late, last year mine came in late when I wanted them early!  But when the herd matriarch came into season the rest did as well. They say it's to do with decreasing daylight but I think its more than that. I think blustery or frosty weather helps.

Arabus

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:17:46 pm »
I agree. I think that the very mild weather / late autumn are to blame. It's frustrating, but natural, and quite funny to be looking forward to all the yelling! Thanks for the replies, let's  hope we get some lovely hard frosts soon...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 12:43:49 am »
Mine haven't shown any signs yet but we were away for ten days (back just over a week ago). Our goat-sitters didn't mention it though and they know the signs. Mine never do come in early though. It's usually the end of October.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:55:39 am »
Hmm....
I was starting to think I could take the bucks out again soon.  I'm fairly sure they've all been covered but I'll leave them together till end of November in case.
I have got five resident bucks and five rams so a lot of pheromones whiffing around.  I expect that makes a difference.
I'm having to put the groups out in turns to keep the kids and not breeding this year does safe having had the youngest buck kid jump fields.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:15 am »
Live in north devon my dam had three days of bellowing 2 1/2 weeks ago.

New to goat keeping, what age do kids come into season?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:43:44 pm »
It'll probably be this autumn depending how old they are. Mine was June born and I expect her to start any day now.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 09:06:49 pm »
Was just thinking that this morning. None of my 6 have come into season yet!

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:37:03 am »
Must be one of the exceptions
Main buck started early
90% of mine came in season early.
Looks like i will have some very early kids by the look of things.
Only two or three left

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 08:54:49 am »

My goats of mixed breeds come in season nearly all year round lasting for a couple of hours july and august and up to two days in dec jan and feb its not the boys you have to watch the girls jump gates run across the fields jump in with the boys if given the chance (some have) It can be crazy at times but all year round milk.
  The girls and the boys are free to roam with use of big barns milked twice a day nothing different from any one else  May be its this part of the UK

student

• Joined Nov 2015
  • uk
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 09:09:24 am »

I have spent many a weekend at Goatherd tas  i thought goats running around screaming at the boys was all year round and normal like cows  But there again the goats there are a hand full to the likes of me they open gates and if you tie it with string they can undo knots and open the gate every thing is bolted or screwed down taps are covered they can turn then on  they  never keep all their feet on the ground To a student its fun but i could not have goats 24/7 the stress the mayhem

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »
Earliest mine have been in season is  last week of August and the latest first week of March. Mine only in season autumn /winter. But have heard of other peoples goats in season other times of year.
This year it has been glorious weather so I thought unlikely for them to come in early this year so I sponged them so looks like they have held so far due to kid last week of Feb. None of my kids have been in season yet but the 2 that I'm running thru came in to season the week after the ones who were sponged came in to season.
I have one goatling who did not hold but more to do with the male kid.(more interested in food than her) He's had one last chance if she comes back in season she will have to go to another male and then that'll be April kidding for her.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 05:31:21 pm »
Hmm, well I reckon he must have some the deed early on.  The non marking doe kids in the next field are now all in season and driving him nuts. So moved them further away yesterday. The wethers have even joined in the fun. In the meantime the does that should be getting on with it are acting like a group of nuns. So I suspect Mr Buck has already been there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS