Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tremors in 1 year old jack russell cross  (Read 2034 times)

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
Tremors in 1 year old jack russell cross
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:24:05 am »
Hi there folks

I'm hoping you can help.  I've got an appointment at the vets for Wednesday but that's the earliest they can do and I don't think I'm in emergency situation at the moment.

We've had 2 Jack Russell crosses from 8 weeks old and are vaccinated, due their booster on Wednesday (it was due early October so I am late with it in case that is relevant).  We have an older lab who they live with.

Buster has recently started with "tremors" as I describe them.  He will lay in his bed and shake (tensing on breathing then stop, do it again on the next breath, just so you get an idea of the rhythm).  He'll do it laid on my knee, sat at the door, anywhere.  He's done it on and off for a long time and we just had him down as a nervous dog even though he is very boisterous and outgoing.

It hasn't affected him at all which is why we haven't worried.  He does everything as normal.  He still does to be fair, except the tremors seem to be more frequent.  I've seek shaker syndrome and a whole host of scary things out there.  I don't think he's scared or excited, could be anxiety but it isn't obvious if it is.

So has anyone been through this before, what can I do for the poor lad?  Thanks in advance for reading and hopefully commenting with some ideas.

Of course I will follow the vets advice, but the experience of people who've been through it would help me get my mind in order.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Tremors in 1 year old jack russell cross
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:46:40 am »
Google the breed, it is something they can be prone to. My 13 year old Jack Russell has done this all his life.

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:49:46 am »
I'd noticed that thank you.  I was just hoping for help on how people deal with it, if at all?  Thanks for the info though, it helps settle my thoughts.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:49:09 am »
I have a spaniel with arthritis and he will sometimes do this if he's in pain. Not saying that your little dog has arthritis, but shivering can be a pain response.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:16:23 pm »
Does he seem 'spaced out' at those times?  Or is he totally responsive to you?  These are probably questions your vet will aslk
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »
It can also be helpful to video the tremors.
Your vet will likely examine everywhere for any obvious pain or illness underlying, but a video of what he does at home with the tremoring is worth it's weight in gold.
Good luck and I hope it is just "a Jack Russell thing".

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:02:13 pm »
He is 100% normal when he tremors, he will jump up mid way to pounce on his brother (same litter, shows no tremors) so not spaced out at all. Thanks for asking.

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:03:50 pm »
Thanks for the video tip, I actually did record it last night.  I'll show the vet on Wed.  Fingers crossed it's normal, ish.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS