Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding sugar beet to weathers.  (Read 2720 times)

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
Feeding sugar beet to weathers.
« on: October 23, 2016, 06:19:27 pm »
What are people's thoughts on wether or not to feed sugar beet to weathers? I understand goats like warm sugar beet and as winter is round the corner I was thinking of getting some, I have three weathers and a nanny all this years kids.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Feeding sugar beet to weathers.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »
I feed sugar beet shreds (briefly soaked in boiling water) - usually still warm and not sloppy and for the wethers with a dusting of oats only (no other concentrates once they are older than 12 months). Only smallish quantities though, as I found wethers do tend to run to fat quite easily...

However I live in an area of really soft water - if your water is quite hard you maybe need to either add some specific additive to your feed (available for cattle - I think it is Ammonium chloride) or use cider vinegar in his drinking water. cider vinegar is good for quite a few reasons, ad you can get in relatively small containers in the feed merchants (in the horsey section).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 11:32:52 pm »
All my goats have sugar beet. I buy the pellets (they take up less storage space) and soak for a few hours. I add their concentrates to just before giving it to them.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:01 am »
No problem un-soaked either.
It's a constituent of most pellet feeds, it's the leaves that can be a problem for males not the beet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS