Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed - My 6 month ram won't get up  (Read 2849 times)

Greenie

• Joined Oct 2016
Advice needed - My 6 month ram won't get up
« on: October 23, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and have just registered today because I've seen the advice on this forum and think there must be someone who can help me. 

I've just spent the last 2 weeks nursing my 6 month ram back to health.  He was off his feet, had scour due to some sort of internal parasite and was very weak and thin. 

I've managed to get rid of the scour and he is eating and drinking well and everything looks normal.  I just can't get him back on his feet now matter how hard I try.  He's not walked now for 2 weeks.  Is he likely to get up on his own at some point or is there something I could try?

Any advice would be very gratefully received. 

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Re: Advice needed - My 6 month ram won't get up
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 05:17:04 pm »
If, literally, he has not stood up for two weeks I really think that you must call out your vet immediately....
good luck

Sweatyfarmer

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »
Hi for me it depends what your model is. If he is a pet then sure get the vet in but if he is part of a future breeding programme them I would suggest his time has come.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:45 pm »
You would get some good advice from [member=26747]Auld Cairnallochy[/member]
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:23:40 pm »
We once had an old ewe that went down with mastitis for a fortnight.  Several times each day we raised her, put a thick bed of clean straw under her, massaged her legs and cut fresh leaves from the verge and hedge to tempt her appetite.  She eventually started to get up herself and lived for another five years - but we didn't breed from her again, of course.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:17:31 pm »
IMO - a tup that hasn't got up for two weeks is not going to be able to tup ewes this autumn... so I would pts. Calling out the vet should probably have happened at the start of his problems, now there is not much of a point.

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 10:10:58 pm »
If wormed give some lamb booster and gradually introduce tup coarse mix to his feed exercise his legs (they forget what they are for) whenever you can and make sure he is propped up on dry straw moving him onto a different side each time you exercise his legs. It can take quite some time before he will gain in strength but we were successful with our tup. However before doing all that might be best to check with vet.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:17:56 pm »
It's a long shot but it could be selenium deficiency.  We lost 3 tup lambs last year, even had a post mortem on one and expensive MV tests.  Vets never suggested trace element deficiencies, and we never got a diagnosis. We googled and read up and gave the rest a cobalt and selenium drench.  The one tup lamb who was looking to go the same way as the others made a recovery and is still going strong. This is just our experience and I have no absolute proof but it might be worth a go.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 04:32:55 am »
Minerals/vitamins and massage, as has been suggested.  Start putting his feed where he has to move to get at it ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:14 am »
It's a long shot but it could be selenium deficiency.  We lost 3 tup lambs last year, even had a post mortem on one and expensive MV tests.  Vets never suggested trace element deficiencies, and we never got a diagnosis. We googled and read up and gave the rest a cobalt and selenium drench.  The one tup lamb who was looking to go the same way as the others made a recovery and is still going strong. This is just our experience and I have no absolute proof but it might be worth a go.
If it has started to affect the heart muscles though it will never come right. We had one with suspected selenium deficiency this year, treatment didn't work so we had her put down, would have been interesting to cut her open and see what her heart looked like as the vet was sure it had gone to her heart. 

Greenie

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:00:36 pm »
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/fingers_crossed.gif

Thank you all for the advice.  I should have mentioned that I had called the vet but she said she wouldn't last the night and that was 2 weeks ago so when I proved her wrong I thought I'd ask you guys.  I only have 20 ewes and 3 rams (2 offspring) but I've been bought up with sheep and had my own for 15 years.  I've just never had one like this before. 

I've taken the physio route a few of you suggested because everything is looking good - appetite, heart, poo, fleece and I managed to get rid of the obvious deficiencies, thanks to my nutribullet grass, honey, kale, spinach, ewe milk and mint smoothies when he was at death's door. 

All is looking up.  This morning, he bah'd at me and sniffed the air with that awful mating look they have when they're in the mood (looking at a ewe not me).  I think you're right, his tendonds had shortened while he was recovering, so we got him up several time and massaged his legs to keep them in position.  Mid afternoon, we tried again and he stayed there for a few seconds.  A minute later, he tried to get up all by himself so we tried again!!!!  Although he failed, it's great he's trying because before now he hadn't been interested in moving.   Just now I managed to walk him to his straw bed, assisted, tonight and he is much more confident.   

Thanks to you guys, we should be there in a few days. 

Thank you all so much for your help.   

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 07:17:10 pm »
Vit B 1
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 07:23:06 pm »
Well done Greenie - fantastic to read that your devotion and hard work paying off.  Lucky ram! :fc:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 08:20:29 pm »
I had a goat down for over a week once and was advised to lay it over a small straw bale with its legs dangling to help the ligaments stretch again. This helped but it was still very weak so I rigged up a goat equivalent of a baby bouncer using a botched together harness and bungee springs. Believe it or not it did actually work, started with 10 mins at a time, then 20 then 30 but no more as a balance between building strength and over tiring them, took a few days but he has been fine ever since.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS